ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

like pixel-art animation, but on arbitrarily shaped non-regular pixel/tiles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Samson
like pixel-art animation, but on arbitrarily shaped non-regular pixel/tiles
on Aug 1, 2014 at 2:58:49 am

Hi ^_^,
I want to do an effect. It's looking like a job only possible using a custom script/plugin, but I'm sure there is an other way. Here is what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish:

1- Suppose I have something like this picture: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11475233/FloorsVarious0040_H_2.jpg

Note: let's say having a matte of the inside of the bricks is a given.

2- The initial idea is 'pixel-art animation on those tiles/bricks treated like pixels'. They are not on a regular grid and they are of arbitrary shapes.

3- What I want is something like the mosaic effect (averaging colors in a regular grid) but using the matte of inside the bricks (so averaging the colors inside masks or mattes created by the brick/tiles footage). I could then threshold it to know what brick/pixel is lit in the "brick display".

My initial plan was to have the footage I want to be 'displayed' by the "brick display" treated image per image in Photoshop's batch processing. But the average blur filter averages from all accross the selection, not in the contiguous zones, so I can't efficiently average different zones from a single mask. A normal blur seems to spill from outside the selection.

At this point I don't know if the solution will involve more Photoshop or After Effects, but a non-rotoscopy semi-automated solution seems more and more impossible. I'll sleep on the problem, maybe I'll figure out something.

What do you think? I'm maybe missing something simple and less elaborate that I could try.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: like pixel-art animation, but on arbitrarily shaped non-regular pixel/tiles
on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:24:24 am

Perhaps you could achieve this with about 1500 instances of the Paint Bucket effect, plus an expression that uses sampleImage() to sample another layer for the fill color? You'd still have to select a sample point for each brick, and render would be SLOOOOW. If you were just doing a few bricks, this would be more viable.

Somewhat harder to set up, but orders of magnitude more responsive: map the original video onto the bricks by creating a UV map and using RE:Vision Effects's RE:Map plugin.

I can't think of a way to do this fully automatically in Ae. I'd probably try to take this over to Processing with a blob detection library, then calculate the median from the input within each blob.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Philippe Samson
Re: like pixel-art animation, but on arbitrarily shaped non-regular pixel/tiles
on Aug 1, 2014 at 1:05:03 pm

Oh nice, Processing ^_^ ! You reminded me that existed. I'll go with that. Previously, my best bet was going to be maybe-some-kind-of-Python-script.

The UV suggestions could work too, I will keep this in the back of my head.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]