ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Advice needed; GPU for After Effects CS (Windows 8)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sjaak BonestaakAdvice needed; GPU for After Effects CS (Windows 8)
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 12:33:33 pm

Hi all,

I am about to configure a new system to use mainly for After Effects CS6, and Premiere CS6. I'm experiencing some difficulties choosing the right GPU.. If any of you could take the time to answer these question for would be greatly appreciated!

- I read the GTX 7xx with Kepler structure aren't supported/CUDA cores aren't used, is this true of do they work fine?

- Does a good video card (with 1000+ CUDA cores) only help for speeding Ray-traced 3D, or will the overall editing experience be faster as well? ('live preview' while editing 'normal video', as well as the final render?)

- What are the critical factors to look for in a video card for editing? (GDDR RAM, Base Clock, Memory Speed, Memory Interface Width, Memory Bandwith CUDA cores) I mainly work with 1080P digital SLR video and video effects, not a huge amount of 3d texts etc.

- If i would choose the GPU as render engine, will the work be done purely by the GPU, of will it just 'assist' the CPU?

- So far, i think the GTX 760 would be a good option, what is your opinion about this card for AE editing? Would this be a good choice or will a GTX 6xx or GTX 580 be a much better option? My budget for the whole system (without monitor etc.) is max. 1000 euro.

- Would buying an SSD for storing the program files and the project files, be helpful? Or won't this increase the speed in editing by too much?

The system I have on my mind so far, recommendations and changes are very welcome..

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
GeIL 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2 TB
Cooler Master B700

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Advice needed; GPU for After Effects CS (Windows 8)
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:20:22 pm

You got answers to your duplicate post here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Sjaak BonestaakRe: Advice needed; GPU for After Effects CS (Windows 8)
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 5:36:53 pm

Hello Todd,

Thanks, i will continue reading on the Adobe forum! You can close/delete this thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved