ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Windows switching with Alt Tab

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam TainWindows switching with Alt Tab
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:45:15 am
Last Edited By Liam Tain on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:38:15 pm

EDIT: While double checking to make sure everything is up to date (as the CC app says it is) I found that the CC app has installed a new version of AE 2014 (I was using the previous January release of CC 64 bit.) the problem doesnt seem to happen in AE 2014, so I'll start using that. Thanks for all the assistance anyway folks!

Recently AE CC has begun to lag when I switch windows or apps. If I alt tab out of AE, and then switch back to it, or even if I click outside of AE when I'm not using it full screen, when I come back to AE there is a 3-5 second lag before I am able to actually use AE again.

This happens even when the program has just been started. This only happens with AE.

Caches get cleared after every session. No changes have been made to settings. System checks out in all other ways.

Has anyone else had this issue, or have suggestions as to fix it? I multitask quite a bit and a few seconds every time I switch adds up to a lot of wasted time!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Windows switching with Alt Tab
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:51:42 pm

Is this a project with a lot of source footage files? One of the things that After Effects does when you switch focus back to it is check to see if any source footage files have changed and need to be refreshed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Liam TainRe: Windows switching with Alt Tab
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:09:41 pm

no, I dont generally work with a lot of source footage. But it does it even when AE is freshly started with no comp open no footage imported.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Windows switching with Alt Tab
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:34:34 pm

Another possibility is that you have too little RAM to have so many applications open, and this is causing the operating system to need to swap the contents of RAM to disk when switching applications.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Liam TainRe: Windows switching with Alt Tab
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:36:13 pm

32g ram, nothing open, fresh start up of PC problem happens switching just to the desktop even.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]