ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Washed out Phantom footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamish PatersonWashed out Phantom footage
by on Jul 27, 2014 at 11:03:58 am

Hi there,

A client has shot some slowmo chroma paint against an unevenly lit white(ish) background. Importing the footage, which was shot on a Phantom camera, the chroma key paint looks very washed out & low contrast, making it even harder to key from the background.

I've encountered similar problems before (washed out green screen footage), and think it maybe related to LUTs? I think the idea is supposed to be that we've got the full 2k dynamic colour range - but how am I supposed to restore the original on-set look of the footage?

Any help very gratefully appreciated. I've attached a shot of the footage & can provide more info if useful.

Return to posts index

Kasper WertherRe: Washed out Phantom footage
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:51:13 pm

Could it be that AE misinterprets the color profile of the footage? You could take a look at the "Interpret Footage" window of the movie file and see what the color profile saiys under the Color Management tab.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Washed out Phantom footage
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:23:51 pm

It's helpful to know the provenance of the footage. What's the media container & codec of the original files from the camera and whether they've been transcoded. If so, what media container & codec do the clips have now?

And just because I've never dealt with Phantom footage, I'm curious to know how you handled the frame rate. AE maxes out at 99 fps, and that's nothing for a Phantom.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Washed out Phantom footage
by on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:22:26 pm

In AE, you interpret the Phantom footage as the frame rate of your intended output. Thus it's nice and slow and Phantom-y.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Washed out Phantom footage
by on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:15:06 pm

Well, that's easy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]