ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

NVidia card OR New Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Jessica JohnstoneNVidia card OR New Mac
by on Jul 27, 2014 at 1:03:04 am

Apologies if this is an old question, i did search.

I need my AFX to run alot faster - 3D ray tracing etc i know i need an nViDIA card now BUT do i just gaet the card or a whole new system?

I have an i mac
Mid 2011
2.5 GHz intel core i5
16GB 1333Mhz DDR3
AMD radeaon HD 6750M 512mb

do i upgrade to the newest biggest and best imac that comes with the graphics card?

Does anyone know if the card alone is significantly better???

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: NVidia card OR New Mac
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40:16 pm

You cannot upgrade the graphics card in the iMac. You'd have to replace the whole system.

The only scenario where you really need to consider an NVIDIA GPU for performance is if you are specifically using the ray-tracing renderer. If you are using the standard Classic 3D renderer, then the GPU will not make a difference in performance.

That said, the difference between your i5 CPU and a current i7 CPU could be significant.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: NVidia card OR New Mac
by on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:14:47 pm

I see that you specifically called out ray-tracing as a GPU requirement. However, since CC, Adobe has included Cinema 4D with After Effects [link] (well, a Lite version). The After Effects team at Adobe considers the ray-traced renderer to be a dead piece of technology and they are no longer developing it.
So, if you have CC or CC 2014, I would suggest you focus more on the integration of C4D.

That being said, the GPU does still matter for Premiere (and several third-party AE plugins, such as Element 3D), so you should check what requirements they have when you're shopping around. They're a lot less limited than AE was though.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved