ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Write on effect. Any way to make it vector?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Garabedain
Write on effect. Any way to make it vector?
on Jul 26, 2014 at 7:10:51 pm

So i started trying something complicated with the Write on effect. I had thought it was vector, but found out early on that it is not. I cannot scale or zoom in without losing quality. I'm not missing anything am i?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Write on effect. Any way to make it vector?
on Jul 27, 2014 at 3:17:54 am

Nope. Sorry. It's bitmap. You'd have to make the mask path and the brush size bigger.... and there's a limit on the brush size in the effect.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrea Di Berardino
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:57:09 am

On which layer have you tried to apply the write-on effect?

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:08:02 pm

Actually, this is totally possible. You just may have to adjust your approach.

Assuming you are using text within the program this will work.

Create open shape layers that go through the middle of each letter - but make them on the same layer. You can do this by clicking "contents" in the shape layers drop down as you go to draw each shape. Then, add a stroke to paths and make it wide enough that it covers the entire letter. Then add a trim paths animator. Rather than making the trim paths simultaneous, you'll probably want it to be sequential. Now parent the shape layer to the text. Make the text layer an alpha matte of the shape layer.

Now you can just move the text around and change its scale and the track matte will follow. Just don't change any of the text options - only the transform options.

I actually do something to this effect quite often, but I like to make each letter its own layer and each shape its own layer as well. It's more time consuming, but more flexible. Thats part of how I revealed the letters in this:

https://dribbble.com/shots/1548645-Pagemodo-Logo-GIF?list=users&offset=1

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:17:46 pm
Last Edited By Richard Garabedain on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:20:55 pm

I do that same thing a lot myself. But thanks for the tip anyways. It might help someone else in the future. My idea Is actually my avatar image. I wanted to animate the same paint drips with paths that vary in stroke width to make it more cartoon like. I wanted to zoom in. But it becomes pixelated. I could use your technique for revealing vector art using the write on effect as a matte, however, my art is not in vector format, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:19:34 pm

Two words: think big. Leave the still image at its original size, make a solid the precise size as the image, make mask paths on the solid and animate them with Write-On. Then you can zoom in.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:06:52 pm

Lol, thats exactly what i did. I actually traced the paths of the drippings with the mask tool because the original size is small. So I scaled it up, traced its pixelated paths, then animated it with write on effect. Watching some paint drips on youtube to get a feel for the timing. Kinda wish i had a black painted mannequin i could throw paint onto. Actually, that gives me a good idea, something with Shane Turner's art.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]