ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

tracing animation with brush tool?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bevis Lowrytracing animation with brush tool?
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 3:23:46 am

Hi there. I'm making an animation by tracing over a video of someone running, but I can't figure out how I can just show the part I'm painting, without the video that I'm 'tracing' from. In other words, I just want to see the drawing and have the source video be transparent. I want to use the brush tool, not shapes or the pen tool. Do you know how to do that? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: tracing animation with brush tool?
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 4:59:30 pm

Since AE brushes don't do good feathering at the edges, I'm not sold on the "brush only" train of thought.

It would be a lot easier if the subject could be chroma keyed. Not possible? you MIGHT be able to use Rotobrush, depending on the shot. Since Rotobrush is not at all intuitive, you'll have to read up on it and run tutorials.

Once you have success with Rotobrush, you'll have a matte. You could also make a matte from a chroma keyed subject. You can use it for just about anything, and you can use AE's Autotrace to create an animated mask, apply the stroke filter, and you's have an animated outline.

Want some feathering? Apply a little blur.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bevis LowryRe: tracing animation with brush tool?
by on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:49:36 pm

Thanks. I'm looking for that really hand-made look that you get from tracing people moving in videos. Isn't there a way to just trace over top? Like if you had a layer with a person in photoshop, then you made a blak layer on top of it and traced the one underneath. Is there nothing really straightforward for this effect in after effects? thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: tracing animation with brush tool?
by on Jul 27, 2014 at 1:20:03 am

The rotobrush might work. And if its not perfect i would use that opportunity to make it look intentional, maybe some paint effects,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved