ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing Illustrator Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curtis CosbyImporting Illustrator Files
by on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:09:32 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did not see a thread for it. I am new to After Effects, I have used Apples Motion before. Here is what my issue is. I have three slides I created as illustrator files. I created the second and third one directly from the first one, just deleting the information and changing it. I can open my files in After Effects with no problems, however when I enable time remapping and stretch my illustrator file to the length I need the information on slides two and three is visible as I move down the timeline. Again this information is not actually on slide 1 if I open it in Illustrator. Any thoughts? I need the information on each slide to be independent.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Importing Illustrator Files
by on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:53:39 pm

If you are working with 3 illustrator files(no animation in them) you don't need to use time remapping. I'm think you are seeing the info from slides 2&3 because you don't have a background in your illustrator file, which AE will make transparent, hence you can see them.

Create your 3 independent files. Drop them in your composition and move each one to where it should start in the timeline. If for some reason the slides aren't long enough, you can always just grab the tail of the first slide and drag it to the next slide. Or just move the CTI(current time indicator) to your next slide, select the layer you would like to extend and press "alt+]"

You may want to precomp each slide, create a solid and place it as the bottom layer to give each slide a background. Probably will make dissolves easier.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Curtis CosbyRe: Importing Illustrator Files
by on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:16:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, I figured it out. I had saved the file as a CS5 version format so it could be reviewed by one of my coworkers. I am working in CC, once I saved the Illustrator file to the CC version it works perfectly fine.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved