ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Camera position messed up half way through a project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaine Levy
3D Camera position messed up half way through a project
on Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42:32 pm

Hey,

I'm new here, this is my first post so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

Basically I've been working on a lyric video for the past few weeks for a band. It comprises of an element 3d layer, optical flare layers, trapcode particular layers, a load of text layers, a colour grade, and a camera parented to a null, all in 3D space. (motion blur is also on)

I've made plenty of lyric videos before and this has never happened, but the camera position/orientation (not really sure what the exact problem is) messed up so now none of the 3d layers are in the right places.

The camera movements are all exactly as they were, and all the keyframes are untouched. It's just all the layers seem to have shifted together into a random point in Z-space. I'm sorry this is really hard to explain, but I'm hoping someone can tell me I've pressed something stupid and there's a simple explanation, because it messed up pretty much instantaneously so it wasn't a series of things done wrong.

Thanks very much in advance for any help/advice.

Return to posts index

AD Narayan
Re: 3D Camera position messed up half way through a project
on Jul 23, 2014 at 11:19:08 pm

Hi Kaine,

Have you checked your animation curves to see if something weird is going on there? Perhaps a bezier curve where you want a straight one?

Cheers

Freelancer Video Producer at RedArch Designs | Media Manager and Motion Graphics artist at Tomorrowland Sound & Vision

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:41:12 pm

Or is it possible you had a lot more layers selected than you thought when you went to adjust one layer's position?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:16:00 pm

First: if it's consistently off, you can just move the camera back. You could create a new null, parent the camera to it, and reposition the null to accomplish this with a minimum of fuss.

Second: if you have auto-save turned on (and this is the default behavior in Ae CC v12.2 and up), you may be able to step back through the sands of time and recover your work before this shift occurred. (If you have some kind of version-aware system in place like Time Machine or Dropbox, you may be able to recover previous versions of your main file and check there.)

Third: get in the habit of using Increment and Save (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S on a PC, Cmd+Opt+Shift+S on a Mac). This will save a new version of your AEP. For example, if you were editing "My Project v1.aep" and you use Increment and Save, Ae will save your file as "My Project v2.aep" without touching v1. Using Increment and Save often will give you a long history of changes and make recovering from an accident (which we all have!) much easier.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Derek Squirrel
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:18:26 pm

Thanks all, really appreciate the help. I actually managed to sort it out myself, although Walter you weren't far off fixing the issue. I had my camera already parented to a null, so I just parented that null to another null and then managed to reposition everything. Still not sure what the original issue was but HEY, it's fixed now.

Thanks again! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]