ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Caches data that is useless?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Hernandez
AE Caches data that is useless?
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:31:49 pm

Why does AE require so much data space for a cache and then tell you to simply "purge" this data when the file overloads with data?

I have to assume this is insane until I understand the logic behind it.
AE builds up tons of data -- tells you to go delete it!?! What is the purpose of that data then?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE Caches data that is useless?
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:53:16 pm

[James Hernandez] "Why does AE require so much data space for a cache"

Ae is caching not only your final rendered frames, but also the individual renders for each layer in your composite.

Consider a 10-layer animation that is 1000 frames long. It will cache 10,000 rendered frames of the composition, but it can also cache 10,000 frames for each individual layer for 110,000 frames total.

Why store so many frames? This way, when you make a change to one of those layers but not the other nine, Ae can read the 9 layers back from the cache to use for the final composite instead of re-rendering them all.

Additionally, each of these layer-frames is lossless and uncompressed.

[James Hernandez] "and then tell you to simply "purge" this data when the file overloads with data?"

Ae doesn't tell you to purge. We do.

Ae automatically prunes its own cache; you don't have to do that manually. Older frames will be dumped from the cache when you run out of space and try to cache new frames.

We generally recommend purging the cache around here as a troubleshooting step when things aren't looking right -- but you shouldn't have to purge regularly.

Adobe has squashed a lot of bugs related to the persistent disk cache since it was introduced, so if you are not up-to-date within your release, you may be missing some of these bug fixes.

Third-party plugin developers have also addressed some bugs related to the cache, so if you have to purge regularly to get clean renders, make sure all your plugins are up-to-date.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

James Hernandez
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:04:14 pm

Thank you Walter!! Excellent explanation, I really appreciate that.

One more question please:
So we should NEVER empty a cache while still working on a project?

I assume I should only purge the cache when I don't have projects still in progress?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:48:21 pm

[James Hernandez] "One more question please: So we should NEVER empty a cache while still working on a project?"

You can empty the cache while you're working. The worst that will happen is that Ae will have to re-render.

You can explicitly tell Ae to cache something via the Cache Work Area in Background [link] command.

The persistent disk cache is just part of what's called the global performance cache. For more information, check out the documentation on the global performance cache [link].

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

James Hernandez
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:26:19 pm

I received a warning that my cache folder was overloaded; so AE didn't overwrite older files in my case, nor did it self-purge. It asked for more room to cache more data! :)

But I really appreciate your response!! Very helpful, thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:45:20 pm

[James Hernandez] "I received a warning that my cache folder was overloaded; so AE didn't overwrite older files in my case, nor did it self-purge. It asked for more room to cache more data! :)"

I imagine you saw this:

[image]

Ae looks at your drive and checks to see if you have 10 GB more free than you are asking to use for the cache, in an effort to prevent overfilling the disk as other applications use it, too. If you do not have that extra free space, you will get a warning.

Ae will still prune its cache, but you'll get the error at startup as long as you are asking Ae to use more disk space for the cache than it thinks is safe to use.

Also, different versions of Ae (CS6, CC, CC 2014) may try to save their own caches and may be unaware of the other versions' caches in their free space calculations. You may have to manually empty older version caches.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

James Hernandez
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:01:02 pm

Thank you for the explanations Walter, I can't thank you enough!

I understand the cache process now 100%. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]