ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Merge frames together

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle StrangeMerge frames together
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 3:34:05 pm

Hey there!

I have this clip (precomp actually) that I have that is 29.97fps within a 29.97 comp. What I would like to do is make 2 frames blend together.

Lets say that one frame has an element that is at 100% opacity, and the immediate frame after is at 0% opacity. What I'm trying to achieve is some sort of blurred transition between the two, so it goes more 100%->50%->0%, kinda like what motion blur can achieve but without the motion.

Frame blending won't work because not only is it a precomp, but the frame rate of the stuff inside it matches the composition and modifying anything inside the precomp is a NO GO. I would have manually time stretched each layer and added frame blending where appropriate but some of this stuff is controlled by expression sliders outside of that comp so that modifying basically anything inside that precomp can't be done, I've tried :(

Long story short, is there any way to blend these frames the way I want to? Thanks! :D

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Merge frames together
by on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:59:09 pm

[Kyle Strange] "Frame blending won't work because not only is it a precomp, but the frame rate of the stuff inside it matches the composition and modifying anything inside the precomp is a NO GO."

In the precomp's comp settings (Ctrl+K PC, Cmd+K Mac), there will be an option under the Advanced tab to "Preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue." This will allow you to use frame blending in your main comp, and in conjunction with time-remapping, will help you get the effect you want.

Alternately, you can chop up the precomp in your main comp onto several layers and blend them manually.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]