ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chugging because of comp size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott saari
Chugging because of comp size
on Jul 19, 2014 at 12:49:26 am

Hey CC'ers,

Not sure why it's happening, but it is. I've got an animation rendered out @ 1280x720 @ 29.97 fps. The client has asked me to give them a final render size of 1280x864 (they obviously didn't tell me this before rendering) - When I do anything with the file in AE in the original size, it plays perfectly and smooth. But as soon as I create a comp that is the 864 size, a slight chugging starts to happen. It just doesn't play as smoothly as it does when it's in a comp that 1280x720.

Same frame rate, same files etc, the only thing that changes is the comp size.

Any ideas? It's really driving me nuts because it makes the animation look amateur.
Help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Chugging because of comp size
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:06:52 pm

Can you provide a little more information? How are you playing it when you see the chugging?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

scott saari
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:33:57 pm

Hi Walter,
It happens in ram preview AND final rendered files. It doesn't matter what format I output to, it still happens. Uncompressed MOVs, mp4, AVI etc.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:48:07 pm

Are you talking about judder?

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/908/cpsid_90843.html

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

scott saari
on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:33:24 pm

I don't believe that's the issue. I had already read up on judder thinking that's what it was, but as I said, it plays absolutely perfect with the original tga's through a viewer/player OR when I ram preview/output them to movie format in the original 1820x720.

It's ONLY when I take the 720 size footage and put it into an 864 comp that it starts to play back rough.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:42:06 pm

[scott saari] "It's ONLY when I take the 720 size footage and put it into an 864 comp that it starts to play back rough."

Can you walk me through how precisely you are doing this? Or maybe post a couple screenshots or a sample of the "chugging" video?

If you are scaling the footage, then you are "magnifying" the moves and judder may in fact be the culprit.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

scott saari
on Jul 22, 2014 at 12:27:50 pm

I'll get some video to show, but just so I'm clear, I'm not scaling the video the fit in the larger comp size. I'm placing the 1280x720 into the 1280x864 and the. Fake letter boxing it.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:04:28 pm

So if I understand right, you're rendering a lossless file out of AE, then importing that file back into AE and dropping it in a taller comp to add letterbox? Why don't you just run the lossless file through Media Encoder and add the extra 144 pixels to the Y? Or through an NLE?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]