ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun BarnettTracking Question
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:11:04 am

I'm tracking an Iron-Man-style HUD display to an astronaut's faceplate (from the outside). It's a close-up face shot with the actor shifting inside the helmet while the helmet looks side to side (180°) and up and down so the edges of the faceplate move on and off camera. There's also shifting reflections in the faceplate.

I got a decent track from Mocha but it's still kinda drifty. Is this to be expected or should I keep watching tutorials till I get something better? Is this the kind of thing where it might have been better to use tracker markers?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Tracking Question
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:15:22 pm

Would the faceplate on this helmet happen to be curved? I'd say the answer is "yes". Is your graphic display also curved? It may be one source of your problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shaun BarnettRe: Tracking Question
by on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:04:41 am

Yes, the helmet's curved. It's something along these lines:

I've experimented with CC Lens, Bulge, and Sphere to curve the graphics display but was trying to figure out tracking first.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Tracking Question
by on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:23:14 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:24:38 am

Well, good luck. As long as you don't lose the edges of the visor too badly, Mocha ought to be able to do it. It's not the most intuitive tool in the box, so you may have to plug away at it. It's not one of those deals you can explain in a post very well.

Then the real trick comes-trying to get those curves right!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:38:27 am

Thanks! I ran one pass last night and it's looking possible if time-consuming. Interesting problem...

Return to posts index

Atiqur SumonRe: Tracking Question
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 9:26:46 am

The answer is yes

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2014 at 12:14:33 am

"Yes", it's possible? Or "yes" I should have them use tracker markers next time? ::smile::

It is actually working okay.

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Tracking Question
by on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:53:22 pm

If there are reflections you will want to avoid them. Try to be creative using mochas ability to animate and create multiple shapes on one layer. The more you can focus the track on elements that are moving on one plane, the better. The X+ or B+ buttons are your friend and allow you to make multiple search areas on one plane.

Reflections usually move differently and you want to avoid them.

mocha Pro and the new mocha Plus have a lens distortion tool that can help. While this is usually used to undistorted footage I have seen it used to get a distortion map off a helmet to get solid tracking.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]