ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masked Layers Appear in Render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike SimmonsMasked Layers Appear in Render
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 10:29:25 pm

Ok, I've been looking for a solution for this, and it seems like people have had this problem before when OpenGl was the new thing, but that's all changed with the new versions right? I'm using CC.

I have a project where I've added some muzzle flashes, and I've duplicated the source layer and put them into add mode to replicate the brightness that would come with the flare. Then I masked out the objects that are in front of the flash (set masks to subtract) to they wouldn't be affected. It looks great in my sequence, but when I render, the masks are gone and it looks like crap.

Here are the images to show you:

Here's the good one

And here's the crap I end up with when I render

I precomped the layers, so that's not the problem. I tried all kinds of export settings (ProRes 422 HQ, Animation RGB+Alpha, lossless/best)

Any clues?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masked Layers Appear in Render
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:25:29 pm

It looks like a gamma issue on the foreground object. The mask doesn't appear to have moved. What's the codec & media container of the footage?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike SimmonsRe: Masked Layers Appear in Render
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:33:49 pm

It's RED footage (.r3d)

Return to posts index

Mike SimmonsRe: Masked Layers Appear in Render
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:59:05 pm

Here are some more images to show what's going on.

This is the original footage after I've used Primatte to key out the background.

I duplicated the layer and set the blend mode to Add in order to brighten it up. You can see how the foreground object looks bright, and you can see the edges of the key. (you can also see my mask outline, but it's set to None.)

I created the mask and set it to subtract, and feathered the edges. Now it looks great. The foreground object is dark as it should be, and the key edges are gone.

But when I render, it looks like the middle image - like my subtraction mask is gone.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Masked Layers Appear in Render
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 1:10:07 pm

It could be a cache issue. Try clearing all your caches.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]