ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making Placeholders For After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert WoodMaking Placeholders For After Effects
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:24:01 pm

Making Placeholder For Images/Video
by Robert Wood on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:52:35 am

Please forgive the post again, but I did not get any answers, surly there are some of you here who has Knowledge of After Effects who could help me out with my question. It's hard to believe no one has answer to tis simple question.

Thanks for your attention:

Original Question:
Hello everyone, I'm Robert.

I am creating a AE Project Template that I will be selling, since I need to make a Preview Video I already created the template with about 7 Images using stock Photo's to show the effects of the images, However these images will not be included with the template, my question is how do I make these 7 images already in project into placeholders so I can remove to stock photos and still keep the effects and keep same length, or can I just simply replace the images with a JPEG Image and state replace Image here. I am fairly new to AE but not that new, I have been working with the program for about a year now and never needed place holders since the projects I made were for my use or for a client and they would just get the rendered version. Any Help would be great.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Making Placeholders For After Effects
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:06:29 pm

Add a placeholder [link] to your project via File > Import > Placeholder. (You'll have to specify its resolution, frame rate, and duration. Ideally this will match the source media you'd like to replace.)

Next, replace [link] the original placeholder with your new footage. From the linked page in the docs:

To replace the source footage item for a layer with another footage item, without affecting changes made to the layer properties, select the layer and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto the layer in the Timeline panel.

To replace all uses of selected footage items with another footage item, select footage items in the Project panel, and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto a selected footage item in the Project panel.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved