ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to play with Expression Language Menu

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samya ChattopadhyayHow to play with Expression Language Menu
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06:35 pm

Hi Buddies...

I have attempted to play with Expression Language Menu and fallen flat. Every time I apply any expression to a solid layer or text...error message pops up.

Please let me know if there is any extensive resource that deals with this powerful section of AE. It seems to be very useful to creating explainer videos.

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How to play with Expression Language Menu
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 2:45:27 pm

Hi Samya -

As you've painfully found out, expressions aren't something you just jump in and start playing with. Because they are so powerful, you have to learn the structure first. While it's not difficult to pick up, the right resource will move you along quickly:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expression-basics.html

At the top of the above help file, there are also some great links to learning resources which will move you to the intermediate stage. I would suggest working down the first page of the help, which will get you a basic grounding, then moving on to whatever level you wish. Good luck with it.

Here's another good link with some examples to pick apart, in case you work well by reverse engineering things:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expression-examples.html

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Samya ChattopadhyayRe: How to play with Expression Language Menu
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:03:26 pm

Thanks Joseph for sharing helpful resources.

What I am interested in is there are a hell lot of types of expressions which are applicable in different areas with their varieties of functionalists such as layer, properties, footage, lights, camera, Math, Vector etc.

Is there any site in the know that especially deals with this.

I know the basic usage of expressions like wiggle, time, value. These are mostly the derivatives of JS strings. At the moment I am trying to find out podcasts/ videos that shows intermediate to advance level use of different expression language menu.

Please let me know if you know one such.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to play with Expression Language Menu
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 7:07:11 pm

[Samya Chattopadhyay] "What I am interested in is there are a hell lot of types of expressions which are applicable in different areas with their varieties of functionalists such as layer, properties, footage, lights, camera, Math, Vector etc. Is there any site in the know that especially deals with this. "

In addition to the "basics" and "examples" documentation that Joe linked you to, there's the complete reference:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expression-language-reference.ht...

[Samya Chattopadhyay] "At the moment I am trying to find out podcasts/ videos that shows intermediate to advance level use of different expression language menu."

I'm not sure I understand.

Advanced expressions are about combining the simple building blocks in a way that helps you accomplish a specific goal.

For example, unlike wiggle() which can provide meaningful results in a single-line expression, you'll rarely get much use out of a single-line expression with dot().

What exactly is it that you want to do?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:00:18 am

Hi Walter...

Thanks for your time and talk.

I am actually into making explainer video. Using different vectors and illustrations and applying different expressions I feel there could be amazing videos and cartoon created.

I got a feeling tapping the potentials of these menu could not only reduce time but also carve out realistic and interesting videos that looks simple and engaging.

I like to make simple and elegant explainer videos with clear message.

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2014 at 2:32:58 am

[Samya Chattopadhyay] "I got a feeling tapping the potentials of these menu could not only reduce time but also carve out realistic and interesting videos that looks simple and engaging. "

I would suggest you are looking at the question backwards.

Intermediate and advanced expressions are generally written to address specific challenges. The question should not be, "What can I do with intermediate/advanced expressions?" The sky is the limit. Instead, identify things you don't want to have to do with pure keyframe animation and work backwards to figure out how to handle these tasks with expressions instead.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2014 at 2:51:47 pm

In addition to the Adobe resources, Dan Ebberts offers this:

http://www.motionscript.com/

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:07:07 pm

Thanks Walter.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: How to play with Expression Language Menu
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:54:50 pm

This is still a terrific technical resource about expressions:

http://www.jjgifford.com/expressions/

And while this is old it is *not* out-of-date.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]