ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Virtual camera causing mysterious rectangle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Virtual camera causing mysterious rectangle
on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:52:14 pm

There are something like a hundred images in this scene, so it took a while, but I "muted" them one by one to try to get rid of this ghosted dark rectangle that appears near the center of the screen. The only thing that makes it go away is when I get rid of the camera itself.

It tracks with the camera (moves as the camera moves)

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Virtual camera causing mysterious rectangle
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12:19 pm

Turn off motion blur and see if it goes away. If it does it's because you have two layers on the same Z space and the camera is moving forward/backwards.

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:23:24 pm

This is my first time attempting to use motion blur, so not sure if there's a better way to do this.

I have probably over a hundred layers throughout the main comp with it enabled.

I just tried rendering a single frame and disabled motion blur on the render, and the rectangle is still there.

Is that enough to test for motion blur, or would I have to go find each place it's on and switch it off?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:06:45 pm

As far as motion blur, you can click the Enable/Disable Motion Blur button that is above all your layers. This will allow you to see the project without motion blur without having to individually disable it on every layer. If that's not the problem the box will remain of course.

Do you have any lights or track mattes in your composition?

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:49:58 pm

Well, the motion blur bit is really confusing me right now because it doesn't appear to be doing anything whatsoever enabled or otherwise.

No, though, that doesn't make it go away.

Track mattes? Hundreds.

Lights? A few.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:10:25 pm

A layer accidentally parented to the camera that is a somewhat low opacity solid or an adjustment layer? (Perhaps set to shy so you can't see it.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Jul 16, 2014 at 2:31:29 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Jul 16, 2014 at 2:45:12 pm

Man, I've got everything else worked out in the vid but this, and it's driving me nuts. It's in most (but not all) of the scenes with a virtual camera.

I'll load it up and see if I can find any hidden (shy) layers.

If I "mute" everything except the camera and the comp it's viewing, it's still there.

If I "mute" the camera, it's gone, but I can't see the scene because it's at the wrong angle.

If I "mute" the scene comp, it's gone, but so is the scene.

If I open up the scene comp the scene is there, but the rectangle is not.

I have gone through and made sure there are no elements within the scene comp at the same z value competing.

I'm assuming it must be the camera, but does that sound like it could be something else? I actually just ignored it at first because it seemed more like a guide of some sort... until I saw it in the final render.

edited to add: Most of the vid was made from scratch, but the scenes with the rectangle are from a template I purchased, so discovering anything has meant some digging through the hundreds of comps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]