ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to smooth text movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
How to smooth text movement
on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:38:44 pm

I've got a comic book scene where there's text and other line graphics with a virtual camera flyby. I know it will never quite be readable, but it appears jumpy even rendered out on best possible settings with animation codec and keyframe on every frame.

The camera's motion is otherwise very smoooth.

I've tried enabling motion blur for those layers, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Do I need to enable it for the camera? Something else?

Thx.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to smooth text movement
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:42:40 pm

Motion blur must also be enabled for the comp. Click the motion blur timeline switch:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/assorted-animation-tools.html#mo...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 2:37:33 pm

As near as I can tell, I've got that covered. There are thousands of layers total throughout the vid, and I began by trying to enable for each, but then read about the nested comps inherit switches or whatever setting in General prefs, and made sure the "parent" comps were all turned on.

Still, though... kinda choppy. I'm not really seeing an improvement with the motion blur on.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50:35 pm

[Greg Sage] "Still, though... kinda choppy. I'm not really seeing an improvement with the motion blur on."

Depending on the amount of motion, you may need a large amount of motion blur to try to smooth it out.

You can adjust the motion blur via Composition Settings > Advanced, with the "Shutter Angle" and "Shutter Phase" controls. Briefly, Shutter Angle controls the amount of motion blur, and Shutter Phase controls where the "exposure" begins. To keep the center of the exposure centered on the CTI, shutter phase should be -0.5 * the shutter angle.

You can change this in a lot of comps at once with Christopher Green's awesome Selected Comps Changer script:
http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/

I'd heartily encourage you download and use all his scripts (they are all awesome), and to support him with a donation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:52:34 pm

Well, I've got some incredibly fast motion, and no blur whatsoever, so something's wrong.

I can try the settings bit. I've already got that script for other purposes, so that makes it easy. I get the impression I'm missing something else, though, because I have a few spots where things cross the entire screen in a few frames, and no noticeable blur.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:24:16 pm

What are you playing back that displays this jumpy motion: tha Animation-codec file? You probably won't get smooth playback with it, because your hard drive can't keep up with the bit rate necessary for it.

Tell you what: drop that file into Adobe Media Encoder. Make an mp4 of the Animation-codec file. Play it back and see how it looks.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]