ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris lawIs there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 15, 2014 at 10:28:35 am

Hello, I'm making a lyric video, I've got a camera active in the comp, now I've a piece of text lined up perfect with text that has the 3D option enabled, but as soon as I hit the 3D layer option on my 2D text it moves position and goes enormous because the camera is zoomed in. I want a easy way to make the layer 3D but still keep its position as it was before without having to manually decrease its size and position again to realign it with the 3D text.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:21:34 pm

You could try precomposing your 3D layers, including the camera. So all your 3D elements are in one in a precomp and you can layer your 2D text on top.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:23:43 pm

Actually I think I misread what you are trying to do. I think you might be stuck realigning.

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:21:57 pm

If your camera's focal length is 50mm, a 2D layer shouldn't change apparent XY position when you make it a 3D layer.

Any other focal length will result in a position change.

best,
Greg

Return to posts index

Chris lawRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:29:42 pm

Hey, my camera was zoomed in already to focus on one part of text which had the 3d option on, I created a new text layer for the next piece of text I wanted to use in the animation and positioned it aligned nicely to the 3d active layer of text, when I then enabled 3d on that aligned text it moved off the screen because of the camera's positioning but I wanted to just make it say where it was without having to scale the text down again and re-align once the option is ticked. Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:34:30 pm

Don't even start aligning it in 2d. There isn't a way that I know of to make a 3d object know exactly where you want it to be. Where in z-space from the camera would it place itself? It would just have to guess. Now, I'm not saying this wouldn't be a good feature request, but it would be a tricky one to implement.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris lawRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:40:28 pm

I see your point, I had a little brainwave, copy the z space data over from the existing text, and then just adjust it as needs be.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:45:48 pm

I have published a free script keen_centerLayersToActiveCamera [link], which will center and orient a layer to the active camera's view, kind of like a 3D-aware Ctrl+Home/Cmd+Home.

This gets you halfway there. The layer will be aligned in the camera's focal plane, but you'll still have to slide it into position.

It will not attempt to preserve 2D positioning -- though that's a great feature that I will add to my to-do list. I doubt it would be ready in the short term.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:14:08 pm

[Walter Soyka] "It will not attempt to preserve 2D positioning -- though that's a great feature that I will add to my to-do list. I doubt it would be ready in the short term."

Ok, never mind what I said there. Let's consider that underpromising, and this overdelivering:

Please try my new script keen_3dLayerTools [link] and let me know how it works for you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:17:19 pm

Hey, thanks I'll try this out soon, I ended up doing the animation avoiding 3D but if this works it will surely come in handy.

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:35:23 pm

Nice, Walter!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:52:29 pm

[Greg Leslie] "Nice, Walter!"

Thanks, Greg!

I am looking for feedback, so if run across any bugs or if you have any feature requests, I am all ears.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Is there anyway to keep the position of a 2D layer when switched to 3D while a camera is active in the composition?
by on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:38:21 pm

Walter you are incredible

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19:08 am

[JP Pelc] "Walter you are incredible"

Thanks for the kind words, JP!

Please do let me know if you run into any issues with the script. It's been ok for me with my testing, but I'd really appreciate any additional input.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2014 at 2:41:00 pm

Hey, Thank you very much for the script it worked perfectly for me all I can say is brilliant job there! :)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2014 at 3:54:41 pm

[Chris law] "Hey, Thank you very much for the script it worked perfectly for me all I can say is brilliant job there! :)"

Awesome, thanks! I'm glad it's working for you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]