ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dallas kruseBlue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 5:28:10 am

I'm shooting a "green screen" shot where I'm screening the inside of a suitcase to reveal different things inside.

The suitcase will be sitting on a bed of grass so obviously i can't use a green screen. I don't have the money to invest in a full green screen and I need to cut it and line the suitcase with it so I was thinking of buying fabric that matches as close to BLUE SCREEN color as possible.

Has anyone had success in doing this? Even going as far as shopping at JOANN's FABRIC store and buying a blue screen?

If anyone has any pointers, I'd be very appreciative.

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCP 7. CS3, 5. AE.
Canon T3i.

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 2:51:21 pm

Yeah You can totally do fabric for blue or green screen. The difficulties that I see you possibly having are lighting issues. How do you plan on getting the entire inside of the suitcase evenly lit for a good key, (blue screen effect)? Along those lines for this particular case I might be hesitant to use fabric because if it is not stretched perfectly to fit the inside of the suitcase you may have lots of folds which will make keying the color out a pain. If I were you I would do some test shots using blue paper on the inside. Paper, (especially construction paper) unlike fabric lays flat and will not get folds. Then it just comes down to you trying your best to light the inside of the box as evenly as you can. In the corners I feel like you will have some issues no matter what, but with a little bit of rotoscoping you can probably hide any imperfections in the corners.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 4:25:07 pm

I don't think I'd worry about lining the inside of this suitcase. I'd worry more about putting something heavy inside to reduce the likelihood of it getting unintentionally jostled around, and then fitting a flat piece of blue... um, something... flush with opening.

Here's the reason for going flat. If you spend hours & hours lining the suitcase with blue, and hours & hours getting the lighting just right, the end result will be a transparent hole after keying.
If you spend far less time creating a blue planar surface inside, and far less time lighting it, the end result will be a transparent hole after keying.
Two different ways to do it, one much easier than the other, and both have the same result.

Either way you do it, you'll somehow have to reconstruct the interior of the suitcase. I think that would be the more difficult part.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 4:36:58 pm

Is anything moving in front of the suitcase? If not, no need for chroma keying at all - green, blue, or otherwise.

Is the camera moving? If so, it might be a good idea to have a tracking marker or four on the bluescreen.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 5:33:13 pm

Yeah, that's a good point, Michael.
You can chroma key the objects that go inside the case. When you shoot, match the lighting angles, then the angles & relative size of the objects for the suitcase. In AE, just mask them off where the sides of the case should obsure them.

It's a LOT easier to do this on a static shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dallas kruseRe: Blue Screen for outdoor shot with green grass
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 5:23:01 pm

great thoughts all around.

Construction paper sounds easier than fabric. I bought green screen fabric for other shots and it was a nightmare getting it straight and not shadowed.

Great idea building a quasi platform for the suitcase ... I think that's the ticket.

I'll do some test shots again :)

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCP 7. CS3, 5. AE.
Canon T3i.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]