ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

cache on external vs internal ssd?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohn
cache on external vs internal ssd?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:09:15 am

I’m running a 2.8GHZ i7 macbook pro with 16GB ram and SSD drive. is it better to run your cache files on a external thunderbolt with ssd or is the internal fast enough to not make a noticeable difference?

thanks
ben

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: cache on external vs internal ssd?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12:26 pm

Thunderbolt is fast enough for the SSD drive. I would suggest getting a big enough SSD to handle the cache and media files if you do that though.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:16:58 pm

[ben wolfinsohn] "I’m running a 2.8GHZ i7 macbook pro with 16GB ram and SSD drive. is it better to run your cache files on a external thunderbolt with ssd or is the internal fast enough to not make a noticeable difference?"

The internal SATA bus will be faster than a Thunderbolt-to-SATA adapter, by probably 10-20% in the real world.

You may choose an external drive anyway for more capacity.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 5, 2014 at 2:55:43 pm

My imac has a 256gb internal ssd drive and a 2tb 7200 rpm drive, I keep the software and cache on the ssd but lately I'm running out of space and I'm always getting a warning about my cache folder not having the specified amount which is around 60gb, should I buy an external thunderbolt ssd drive and levea it exclusively for cache?

I was looking at an Elgato ssd thunderbolt 240 gb but there's a few complaints about the drive dying after a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Thunderbolt-Solid-State-10024024/dp/B007FNKAYQ...

Can anyone vouch for this drive or recommend a good, reliable and fast drive for cache files?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]