ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Render Lossless Comp and Import as Footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shayne Trosdahl (Trözdol)Render Lossless Comp and Import as Footage?
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:38:14 am

I'm working on an dual screen animation for a trade show (3840 x 1080). I've been struggling to with ram previews or even scrubbing through to get a rough idea of what the animation looks like.

I had a thought...

I my video has quite a few nested comps that morph into different things that represent functionality of the product. Once I feel pretty good about what I've got I then precomp it then use that for the next step and so I can move it around without jacking up the keyframes.

I don't use AE on reg basis so I don't know if this is really best practice or not. Either way under this workflow would it be better on performance to render out a completed portion of the animation to use in a sense as something that I have precomped. I am waiting on a render to complete now to test and since I have to wait I thought I would ask.

Shayne Trosdahl (Trözdol) @trozdol Shayne

Return to posts index

Tim FranklinRe: Render Lossless Comp and Import as Footage?
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:29:56 am

Yea that would work. You could replace the rendered footage with the original comp later on if you wanted to/ have time to but as long as you export it correctly you shouldn't lose quality.

Tim Franklin
Media Asset Manager, CBS Sports Network

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Render Lossless Comp and Import as Footage?
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:22:43 am

Yes you can do that. In the Output settings, there is a post-render action pulldown and one of the options is Import and Replace Usage. You can choose that and the precomps in the final will automatically be updated with your rendered file. Just make sure you choose a lossless codec, like QT_Animation.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Render Lossless Comp and Import as Footage?
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:07:10 pm

As Tim and John have mentioned, there are a couple ways to do this.

You can use the "Pre-render" command [link] to take care of the "Import and Replace usage" render queue work for you.

Personally, I like to use proxies [link] instead of pre-renders because then the comp remains the source layer wherever it is used. If you use a proxy, you must be sure to set your render settings "Proxy Use" to something other than "Use no proxies."

The whole workflow in a nutshell:
1. Right-click a comp, select "Create Proxy."
2. Make sure its render settings are "Best Settings" and its output module is lossless (or at least visually lossless like CineForm or ProRes).
3. Render
4. Work in your main comp, enjoying the speed the pre-rendered proxy provides.
5. Add your main comp to the render queue, being sure to change the render settings for proxy use to an appropriate option other than "Use no proxies."

I have modified my default render settings and output modules to accommodate this workflow and eliminate some of these steps in the render queue.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved