ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to move mask paths over several keyframes all at once?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonZ MarZ
How to move mask paths over several keyframes all at once?
on Jul 6, 2014 at 2:33:31 am

I'm trying to pull a mask from a position, but unfortunately the other keyframes doesn't follow and keep morphing to the original state of the next keyframe. Is there a way to make the keyframe follows my correction?

Return to posts index

Iris Moleman
Re: How to move mask paths over several keyframes all at once?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:31:16 am

Maybe you should select all keyframes before you move the mask?

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:21:41 pm

this was the first thing I did. The keyframe deselect once I try to move.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:04:27 pm

Free-transform mode may help you.

First select all pertinent mask keyframes then use free-transform to modify them in unison.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html...

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:56:44 pm

Still doesn't work. The Keyframes stay selected but the end result after moving the mask is the same. Only the keyframe I was on was affected.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:33:42 pm

Could you post a screen capture of your timeline and composition. Once selected, normal behaviour is that keyframes remain selected and respond to the transform.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:53:40 pm

http://i.imgur.com/EwEhx4j.png

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:13:36 pm

So that looks correct. Here is what should happen.

Mask transform

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:30:11 pm
Last Edited By JonZ MarZ on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:34:05 pm

That's not really what I asked for. You basically did another keyframe and a newer transformation. What I meant is to move the already created keyframed mask animated tweens in the subsequent keyframes without altering the animation. I can only do it for the keyframe I have in focus, but the other keyframes don't follow. I have to transform manually every other keyframes.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:33:04 pm

[JonZ MarZ] "move the already created masked tweens in the subsequent already created keyframes without altering the animation"

I'm not clear on what you mean. How can you move something without altering the animation?

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:36:34 pm
Last Edited By JonZ MarZ on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:38:43 pm

exactly my question

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14:36 pm

Hmmm.... if I've been reading this correctly, here's the situation:

1) You've got a mask that's animated with a bunch of keyframes
2) After careful animation, you discover each mask is out of position, and by the same little bit
3) You need to move all the mask keyframes by the same amount, horizontally & vertically

This is a pretty easy thing to fix:
  • Put the timeline cursor on one of the Mask Path keyframes
  • Highlight ALL the Mask Path keyframes in question -- just click on the appropriate layer's Mask Path property at the left side of the timeline, and they all highlight
  • Using the up-down-right-left cursor keys, adjust the position of the mask, and they all change by the same amount.

If that solves the problem, great. If it doesn't, you'll need to re-explain your problem.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:22:45 pm

Thanks for chiming in Dave.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:38:49 pm

Thanks for your time, unfortunately it still doesn't work. It only moving the vertices on the keyframe I am focusing.

I tried to make screenshots of what happen:
http://i.imgur.com/VESumFt.png

image 1 and 2 (from top), everything is ok. Then I want to move all the animation to another position (3rd pic), but only the keyframe I am in focus do the move and the other keyframes automatically deselect (still doesn't work with the CTRL+T transform). In the 4th pic it tweening in it original position instead of the intended new position.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:44:52 pm

[JonZ MarZ] " but only the keyframe I am in focus do the move and the other keyframes automatically deselect (still doesn't work with the CTRL+T transform). In the 4th pic it tweening in it original position instead of the intended new position."

The keyframes in the posted images do not change position, the first keyframe remains at 0 and the second remains at 2:18.

Do you want to move all the mask vertices to a new position or move the keyframes?

Do you want a new animation tween or do you want all vertices at the new position at both keyframes?

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:59:43 pm
Last Edited By JonZ MarZ on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:44:19 pm

[Brian Charles] "do you want all vertices at the new position at both keyframes?"

That's what I want, by keeping the animation tween if possible. The other way around I've been reading is to create a vector shapes layer and make my animation, then link as a alpha layer.

But I never understood shapes, they aren't intuitive enough.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:28:13 pm

[JonZ MarZ] "[Brian Charles] "do you want all vertices at the new position at both keyframes?"

That's what I want, by keeping the animation tween if possible."

When the vertices move it will interpolate a new tween. If you need to hold the vertices at a position, use a hold keyframe.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:49:42 pm

but I still want the animation, I just want to change the position of all the vertices over all the keyframes. It still wouldn't let me change position throughout every keyframes regardless the interpolation I choose.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:51:25 pm

This is more of a communications problem than an After Effects problem. Is this your situation:

1) You have an animated mask, and two keyframes. You have animated the mask so it gets thinner.
2) You want to move this animation to a different part of the screen.

Is this correct?

If it is, follow my instructions above. If not, find an English speaker to write for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:18:13 am

[Dave LaRonde] "If it is, follow my instructions above. If not, find an English speaker to write for you."

As I already explained, I already did what you suggest, it just doesn't work. As soon I move the path, whether with the keyboard arrows or with the mouse, the other keyframes deselect and only the path keyframe I'm in focus are moving. The other paths in the other keyframes stay as is.

Return to posts index

Brandon Russ
on Dec 13, 2014 at 9:23:30 am

I found this thread because I have the exact same questions. Jonz Marz, I just want you to know you have explained it about as clear as it can be explained. I don't know why no one understands what your asking, because it makes perfect sense to me. And if had the answer I'd love to share it with you but unfortunately I am seeking the answer myself. If you figured it out, could you share it with me please? Thanks!

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Dec 15, 2014 at 4:04:59 pm

I ended up with a different strategy since this one obviously was doomed to not work. At the end, I just made the mask animation, then move with the shape anchor point. Was less tedious than I thought it would be but still would have prefer if masked method could have worked first.

Return to posts index

brooke qualman
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:04:00 pm

I found a solution here:https://forums.adobe.com/thread/397813?start=0&tstart=0

You basically copy the animated path and make it into a shape layer. From there I just made the first layer alpha track matte the shape layer. You can move it around freely from there.

Return to posts index

Hanker Wanker
on Mar 7, 2017 at 1:30:19 pm

Just wanted to say, that the explination of the problem was totally clear and it seams like Dave understood it perfectly on his first attempt.
The solution he gave however just istn't working. He clearly didn't test it for him self.
This is definetly a basic feature missing in AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2017 at 6:52:45 pm

[Hanker Wanker] "The solution he gave however just istn't working. He clearly didn't test it for him self."

Gee, I guess the three-four times a week I have to tweak the position of an animated mask don't count.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sergio Andueza
on Mar 24, 2017 at 7:31:46 pm

I reached this post because I have the same problem, which is well explained, but I think the solutions you all have given are correct too. I'm attaching a video to explain it better, because I think just a few hours ago I was editing the masks selecting all the keyframes and moving them all at once but now it's not possible and it's kind of confusing. Any ideas?

Video:

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]