ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Lansfordno more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 8:26:01 am

Adobe removed support for flv / flash

They want me to use H.264

I need to render titles with alpha encoded. In the media encoder, the only option I found for this was the flv output... So I have used it for a while.

Now it is gone. The only option is the AE render queue, lossless with encoded alpha - takes forever and generates titles that are 80 to 100 times larger than compressed file formats.

I have scoured the media encoder - I could be blind, but I have not found a way to output titles with alpha...

It can't be true, so I hope someone can give me a tip here.

I want to use the media encoder for output if possible. I'd like to use a compressed format for title output.

Thanks for the help - Tom

Return to posts index

Tom LansfordRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 11:56:20 pm

running on macbooks.

It sounds like this might not be possible using the standard codecs supported in CC?

that would be odd.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 3:11:50 pm

How are the lower-thirds being used? What's the application they go into?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom LansfordRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 11:50:17 pm

I use the lower third for titling and the titles are used in PPro.

It doesn't matter if the output is FLV or some other format. I just want a title that works in PPRo

I found this while working on 2 systems (mac) and one had updated to the version which no longer supports flv.

It looks like such an obvious usage that I can't imagine that there is not a standard way to do this provided by Adobe, and that I must be overlooking something obvious.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 4:26:31 pm

[Tom Lansford] "I want to use the media encoder for output if possible. I'd like to use a compressed format for title output."

Adobe recommends using a legacy version of Media Encoder for flv output.
See:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/removal-flv-f4v-swf-export-adob...

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 12:00:42 am

[Brian Charles] "Adobe recommends using a legacy version of Media Encoder for flv output. "

yep, I saw that. I'm running on cc and never looked at how to keep a legacy version running in parallel with updates...

BTW, I do not care about flv per se. I just want to do titling with an Alpha channel. I could use any output. It would seem to me to be a simple thing and at the moment, I am making the assumption that there is a way to do this using the standard means of output from Adobe CC, and that I just have not found it or recognized it yet!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 6, 2014 at 12:50:39 am

[Tom Lansford] "BTW, I do not care about flv per se. I just want to do titling with an Alpha channel. I could use any output. It would seem to me to be a simple thing and at the moment, I am making the assumption that there is a way to do this using the standard means of output from Adobe CC, and that I just have not found it or recognized it yet!"

When you select the Output Module set it to RGB+Alpha, then select the format you want. Note: not all formats support Alpha.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 8:05:12 am

works, thanks ...

however,
1) large file size
2) not in the media encoder

I prefer the media encoder, but that can be dealt with. The large file size can be worked around for a while, but it would be good to get back to 1mb files and not 80-100mb files

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:52:56 am

Let me add information to the post

The media coder still outputs flv.

The real problem for me is that PPro no longer reads in flv - it is declared an unsupported format. This is where I am currently stuck, although I expect support for writing out flv will end soon too.

The reason I use flv is to create titles from AE for PPro and I use the alpha channel. FLV is the only output format from the media encoder that expressly presents the option to encode the alpha channel. So I do not care about FLV itself, just the right way to export titles.

So - how do you guys generate your titles in AE that you use in PPro? That is really what I want to do!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 5:45:18 am

[Tom Lansford] "The reason I use flv is to create titles from AE for PPro and I use the alpha channel. FLV is the only output format from the media encoder that expressly presents the option to encode the alpha channel. So I do not care about FLV itself, just the right way to export titles. "

If you encode using ProRes 444 or DnXHD 444 you will encode an alpha channel as long as the source composition contains one.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 8:07:17 am

just tried your recommendation and have the DNxHD in the media encoder.

It generates a 184mb mxf file compared to a 1mb flv file :)

But ...

neither AE nor PP can read the mxf file...

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 6, 2014 at 3:34:55 pm

Is Dynamic Linking not an option for some reason?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:01:07 pm

[Tom Lansford] "neither AE nor PP can read the mxf file..."

My apologies. I'm on a Mac and assumed that DNxHD 444 would work for you since it does contain alpha. I routinely use the ProRes 444 codec for QuickTime.

If you are unable to use QuickTime and ProRes another option is to use a TIFF or Targa sequence as both of these support Alpha.

Is there a reason you prefer not to render directly from After Effects and need to use Media Encoder?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: no more flash, which output for lower third titles with encoded alpha channel AE & media encoder question:
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:38:17 pm

[Brian Charles] "Is there a reason you prefer not to render directly from After Effects and need to use Media Encoder?"

same question... typically ae renders a comp faster than ame.

also, you should be able to render dnxhd in a quicktime container rather than mxf. you can do that in ae or ame. i'm assuming that the preset in ame is set to use the mxf containtaner, but i'm sure you can change that to quicktime in ame -- i know you can set it in ae.

another codec that i don't think wasn't mentioned is quicktime png. like lossless animation, it is also lossless and supports alpha, but often creates smaller files than lossless animation.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]