ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending modes for Fill effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Blending modes for Fill effect
on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:00:20 pm

I have a layer with two fill effects stacked on it, depending on whatever is on the background I will either use a red one or a white one. I need to repeat the same thing over a hundred times in a single project, so I created a null and applied a checkbox control with an if/else expression that turns the opacity of each fill either to a 100% or 0% depending on whether the checkbox is checked or not.

The problem is that the Fill effect does not have blending modes like say the circle effect, so it doesn't matter if one is 100% opaque and the other one is 0%, only one of them renders, the only way to make it work is to deactivate one of the instances so only the other one works.

Is there an expression to actually turn off an instance of an effect, pretty much the same if/else conditional but instead of affecting the opacity of the effect rather affect the switch that makes it active/inactive?

Thanks.
David.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Blending modes for Fill effect
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:22:34 pm

use the tint effect instead.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:57:44 pm

Good idea, thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58:20 pm

you can use the fill effect, but instead of controlling the opacity, control the color.

i'd set 2 key frames for the color property, one for each color you need to toggle between. then you can use an expression like this to link those values to a checkbox control:

chk = effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox");
if (numKeys > 1){
clr1 = key(1).value;
clr2 = key(2).value;
if (chk==true) clr1 else clr2;
}else{
value;
}

just point the chk value to your checkbox control.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 3, 2014 at 8:15:59 pm

That's cool also, but it also gave me the idea of directly changing the rgb values using the checkbox, that way I avoid the gradation between the colors that comes when using keyframes.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]