ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Memory while launching AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CampbellMemory while launching AE
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 10:42:32 pm

I just upgraded my Mac Pro (2x2.8Ghz quad-core) from 2GB to 10GB of RAM. When I launch AE, in the launch window it indicates "4% used of 3.0 GB". Despite this RAM upgrade, previewing projects while I'm working on them still takes very long. The RAM Preview is still super slow. I was hoping this extra memory would speed things up in AE. It does make the machine faster as a whole with other things, but it hasn't had any effect at all in AE.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:17:21 am

While 10GB is 5 times more RAM than you had its still very little for After Effects, it has the greatest appetite for RAM of any application I run.

My 12 core MacPro has 64GB of RAM and sometime it asks for more. Depending on the version you are running After Effects can use several GB per core.

You may find this informative.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:11:50 am

Thanks. I guess what I don't quite get is that AE will gobble up 3GB of memory when it loads, but then when I'm rendering something, I see down at the bottom that (for example) 59% of 3GB is being used. My renders really go slow, so why doesn't it just dip a little more into my RAM well?

Thanks for the link. I'll read up on all of that and see where it takes me.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:00:15 am

[Paul Campbell] "so why doesn't it just dip a little more into my RAM well? "

Have you enabled Multiprocessing so After Effects can use more cores and RAM? If you do, be very conservative since you have very little RAM.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:02:07 pm

[Paul Campbell] "59% of 3GB is being used. My renders really go slow, so why doesn't it just dip a little more into my RAM well?"

Two things...

First, what OS are you running? Also, what version of AE are you running? Current versions of AE should recognize more than 3 GB of RAM installed.

Second, RAM is not always the bottleneck. Sometimes it's the CPU. Sometimes it's serving assets from the disk, etc.

But the first point is the most salient.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:47:53 pm

Sorry. OS is 10.6, and I'm running CS4. (I'm not in front of the Mac right now, so I'm not totally getting that OS version)

This may be as good as it gets with my setup. It works, just not as fast as I was hoping. Clearly, my hopes need tweaking.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 3:03:40 pm

[Paul Campbell] "I'm running CS4."

There's your problem. CS4 (After Effects version 9) is a 32-bit program. It can't really make use of more RAM.
If you upgrade even one version level to CS5, you'll have a 64-bit program that could make use of your system's resources better.

However, I'd suggest going all the way up to version 12 (or the brand-new version 13 [AKA CC 2014]) since the per-month cost to upgrade to the Creative Cloud is pretty low.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Memory while launching AE
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 4:48:41 pm

to clarify on michael's statements, cs4 is 32-bit and thus limited to 3gb of ram, but with 'render mulitiple frames simultaneously' enabled in the memory and multiprocessing prefs ae can launch as many 32-bit render engines as you have processing cores, with each capable of use 2gb of ram. so for most rendering (and preview rendering) ae can easily use 10gb of ram.

you'll need to figure out how many cores and how much ram to allow ae to use for your system. to get started, read some of the links here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440?start=0&tstart=0

you can start with the basic guidelines given win the 'memory settings for cs5'. both of the 'performance tips' links can give you a good understanding of how to balance memory and cpus, and the performance tips for cs4 would be helpful too.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]