ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC 2014 and Sony Mfx Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark thompson
AE CC 2014 and Sony Mfx Files
on Jul 2, 2014 at 2:42:11 pm
Last Edited By mark thompson on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:19:13 pm

Hi, I've been using AE to add some effects to files. The video part works fine but the Mxf file has four synced audio channels. When I export my work (to AME as H.264) a new stereo track has appeared but the four audio tracks have gone.
Is there a workflow that keeps the audio with the output? At the moment I manually re-sync them but it is a slow and inaccurate process.
thanks in advance.
mark

Win 8.1
No codec packs, just what came with CC 2014.
Sony Camera, pmw-200, HQ mode (i.e. not the best.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE 2004 and Sony Mfx Files
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:07:38 pm

Accoring to the title, your version of AE is about 10 years old. This could result in problems with more recent media files, developed AFTER your version of AE.
AE Version number, please?
Operating system, please?
Any codec packs which you've installed, please?
Do you know if your version of AE is even capable of properly reading MXF files?
And where did this MXF file come from? A camera? Something else?
And how did you get AE -- which only knows about stereo -- to read four channels of audio in the first place?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:28:24 pm

Dave,
thanks for prompt reply. I've updated the post, I've been working too long today already :-(
I know there are four audio channels - Int Left, Int Right, xlr 1, xlr 2. I'm editing with Vegas and it shows the channels. PPro would as well.

mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:35:52 pm

Well, AE won't show four channels of audio. As mentioned earlier, it only knows stereo and mono. That hasn't changed. So that could be a big part of the problem.

Besides, AE has ALWAYS been a God-awful application for audio. I'd just bring the video file rendered out of AE into Premiere and try from there. It's the most straightforward way to do it, and it will work.

Assuming, of course, that you don't expect 4 channels of audio in an H.264 file. That ain't gonna happen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jul 3, 2014 at 3:25:32 pm

Dave.
thanks I'm still developing this, I may have H.264 at the end of the process, i.e. after a final sound mix. What I would like is Mxf to Mxf, with the video part edited but the audio it was carrying just left as it was.

I haven't tried calling AE from Premier yet, that sounds like a good idea tough.

mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CC 2014 and Sony Mfx Files
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:32:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:51:24 pm

I see you altered the original post to better reflect your real situation.

Despite Adobe's best efforts, the transion to the 2014 version isn't exactly painless. Pitfalls do exist.

You'll have to wait for an individual who's actually bought into the notion of renting one's software as opposed to owning it for a more definitive answer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Aug 28, 2014 at 2:57:57 pm

Hi there,

Is there a way i can use/view mxf files in after effects cc?
I have shot a lot of stuff on the sony f55 as 4k raw files and i can't import them into ae...

Any advice out there would be great!

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:49:17 pm

Hi, the simple answer is yes! AE can handle Mxf files.

However, as you see from earlier replies in this thread, handling Audio is more challenging. Mxf (certainly from PMW cameras) is imported into PPro (bear with me) with about 8 audio channels - 2 internal, 2- external and 4 mixes of the above). the 4 real channels could/do contain in sync audio. Someone suggested opening the clips in Premiere Pro and then sending the clips you want to AE for editing via Adobe Dynamic Link. It also works! However it looks a bit awkward, AE recognizes the video and audio sent as a group. It looks odd trying to apply a lens flare to an audio channel (in AE) but it all works.

I think you get a one month eval for CC 2014, so you can try it.

If you have a short clip of Mxf and a short clip of Raw fro the F55 I will give it a try. There are Raw plug-ins that should help as well but I've not tried those.

regards

mark

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Aug 29, 2014 at 8:50:54 am

Hi mark,

Thanks for the response. I don't believe my DOP filmed anything with audio on as I don't need the audio, my main concern/frustration is that i would like to grade and put effects on these clips via AE rather than loading them into premier pro and exporting out which does work.

When i go to import the mxc file into ae - this message comes up
after effects error: file'A001C021_147362Q.mxf" cannot be imported - this 'MXFF' file is damaged or unsupported.

But these work on mistika, flame, avid suites and on my apple using premier pro???

Any advice on why AE is not working would be helpful...

When looking at the clips on Sony RAW Viewer the meta data from the clip for the codec for audio/video is below..
Video codec - F55RAW SQ
Audio codec - LPCM

Thanks in advance!
John

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:08:02 am

Hi mark,

Thanks for the response. I don't believe my DOP filmed anything with audio on as I don't need the audio, my main concern/frustration is that i would like to grade and put effects on these clips via AE rather than loading them into premier pro and exporting out which does work.

after effects error: file'A001C021_147362Q.mxf" cannot be imported - this 'MXFF' file is damaged or unsupported.

But these work on mistika, flame, avid suites and on my apple using premier pro???

When looking at the clips on Sony RAW Viewer the meta data from the clip is as below..
Video codec - F55RAW SQ

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:37:02 pm

Hi mark,

When looking at the clips on Sony RAW Viewer the meta data from the clip is as below..
Video codec - F55RAW SQ

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Aug 29, 2014 at 2:32:27 pm

John,
I thought the Mxf files you referred to were the ones that were recorded simultaneously on the SxS slot. I think the two formats you refer to are XAVC and Raw? Sorry to have misled you on that.

Having said that, what version of After Effects are you using?
Adobe have been very busy of late and the latest version is CC 2014 does include support for F55 cameras. Raw and XAVC.

See: http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new.html

If you would like to upload some small clips to Dropbox I will run a test.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:02:04 pm

John,
I found some 4K footage. I loaded the clips into: Adobe After Effects CC 2014.0.2 Release (Version 13.0.2.3) and they look and feel just like any other clip.

I did a simple effect (lens flare) and again that looked just as expected.

I didn't try rendering out.

I can't say whether earlier versions of AE would have worked. However in the Creative Cow forums someone from Adobe forecast an end of 2013 availability and they delivered on that.

There's this plugin from Sony: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/plad-rw1
I think you already have that though, in the version of PPro you were using.
mark

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:00:03 pm

Hi mark,

i can send you a clip which is 10frames and 49mb... I don't think my DOP shot on the sxs card slot.
to what address please?

the version of ae I'm using is 12.1.0.168

Many thanks
John

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:00:22 pm

John,
the easiest way is to create an account here:
https://www.dropbox.com/
There you can upload clips. When you are done you can authorize me to download it (I will have to send you an email address).

The version you have should be able to load the XAVC clips; however although the new features sheet for the version before yours says it supports it the Adobe guy said it was not supported until later in 2013 (a little inconsistency). If you are a CC subscriber you can just download the 2014 AE.
mark

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:13:18 am

hi mark i have an account with dropbox already so i just need your details so you can access it..
cheers
johny

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:06:05 am
Last Edited By mark thompson on Sep 4, 2014 at 4:42:39 pm

John,
I'm at
you know where!

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 12:04:14 pm

thanks Mark,

i have just updated my ae to 12.2.1.5 and i still can't read the mxf file?

let me know how you get on..

thanks
John

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:40:49 pm
Last Edited By mark thompson on Sep 6, 2014 at 5:57:31 am

John,

Good news - it imports just fine! I can see the woman tying to get into the premises and the car go past. I have tried a couple of grading effects and they seem to work (to me). I enabled a 3d layer, added a camera and zoomed in. It was a bit awkward animating but perhaps that is because there are so few frames.
[edited 9/6/2014]
You can export to a 4k/Mxf format. The slight problem is that there are not many explicit presets available. One you do have is for YouTube. You can also export back into XAVC. To do this you need to customize a preset in the MXF OP1a AVC-Intra group and select a "Video Coded" to change. There you can see the XAVC options.

What format are you expecting to output to?

Mark

Return to posts index

john hobson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:53:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Im pleased it works on your AE - what version of cc are you using?

As my main problem is i have 1000's of files in this format and it would be a hell of a lot easier if i could import them directly into AE...

Thanks
Johny

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:19:11 pm

John,

glad that has helped!

I have CC AE 2014.0.2 - the very latest. 13.0.2.3

You can Render as well. It requires a custom pre-set.

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]