ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy HaccounSet extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:14:32 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Haccoun on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:16:48 am

Hello,

I need to extend a real wall using a matte painting in After Effects.
I start by tracking the camera move in SynthEyes, then import the camera move & trackers in AFX.
Once in AFX, I need to connect my matte painting to the real wall. At the moment I'm doing it:

- by hand
- by parenting my matte painting layer to a 3D tracker, reset its Anchor point, then move it in 3D space until it connects with the real wall.

None of these solutions gives a perfect result and they take forever.

Is there a sure-fire, mathematical way to perfectly align an image with several 3D trackers in After Effects? (and without having to go through a CG soft).

Many thanks for your help,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:42:46 pm

Have you tried After Effects' built-in 3D Camera Tracker? It works pretty well for adding elements to a moving scene, so I'd bet you could utilize it to do your set extension.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:54:34 pm

It would be helpful to have some screen shots of your comp, keyframes, expressions, etc. to see what you're up against... not mention a good description of the motion in the shot that requies the use of 3D.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy HaccounRe: Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:43:49 pm

Thanks Blaise, I am checking out AFX 3D cam tracker right now.

Dave, the shot I'm working on at the moment is a wide, handheld shot of a desert. There is no pan or tilt or track, just a natural floating handheld move. Already tried Mocha and 2D track won't do. SynthEyes usually gives me the best results when I need to hit several contact points on wall or ground.

There's a small puddle on the ground, quite close to the camera, that needs to be massive. I'm using 3D track to basically stick my massive puddle layer on the ground, but at the moment it's floating, likely because it doesn't perfectly match with all the trackers on the ground. I have a number of similar shots to work on, including extending a rock wall, so I'm hoping there's a faster, more accurate technique to align a layer with several 3D trackers than by hand?

Many thanks
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 7:51:30 pm

Hmmm... a desert. Hand-held. No 3D motion. AE's built-in motion tracker might be the tracker of choice in this instance, assuming there are details in the shot that can be tracked.

Get a track, apply the track to a null, parent the set extention to the null, position it initially as necessary, and you just might be good to go, no other fancy-schmancy tracking necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy HaccounRe: Set extension using 3D Tracking and After Effects
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:19:14 pm

Thanks Dave, Thanks Blaise - built-in 3D tracker seems to be working much better so far.

Best
Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]