ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d tracking and moving mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Estes3d tracking and moving mask
by on Jun 28, 2014 at 6:34:43 am

I have what may be a dumb question. But I am struggling to find the right answer.

I have used syntheyes to track a sequence. I have imported to after effects. Objects are placed and scaled properly when the items ( images) are placed in 3d space. They track properly.

What I want to do: Mask out a portion of the 2D footage I tracked in syntheys and attach the mask to a null in 3d space which is parented to a image I want to use for a set extension/matt painting. (Imagine castle on horizon line of tracked footage).

My problem: I cannot figure out how to mask the 2d footage and use the tracking data to make the mask move AND MASK MY FOOTAGE.

The only way I can figure out to mask the footage is by drawing a mask on the original footage. I can't make a mask drawn say on a null or adjustment layer affect the tracked 2d footage.

Problem seems to exist with 3d layer perspective and 2d layer masking.

Help please.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3d tracking and moving mask
by on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:15:46 pm

You could create a solid, place it in 3d space, sized appropriately, then mask that and use it as a track matte on a copy of your layer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved