ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A way to do a ramped Reshape?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam MattsonA way to do a ramped Reshape?
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:57:41 pm

I have a reshape that I want to happen from the top down.
Normally a reshape happens all at once, so going from a square to a circle happens to the entire image.
I want it to happen from the top down, so the mid shape looks like a square bottom with a rounded top.
Like if I were to combine reshape with linear wipe, but I want it to be a smooth reshape keeping linear continuity and not just fade pixels like linear wipe would provide.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: A way to do a ramped Reshape?
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:32:32 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:35:19 pm

How about doing a top-to-bottom horzontal wipe? Would that do the trick? If it doesn't, I'd use a masked solid, and animate the mask path to create the change.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam MattsonRe: A way to do a ramped Reshape?
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 2:59:24 am

Thanks Dave, I'll be animating the mask path. Thought there had to be an easier way. :)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: A way to do a ramped Reshape?
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:03:01 am

you could play around with the time displace effect. it will displace time based on the luminance of a layer map. so you could use a simple gradient to have the morph start at the bottom and end at the top.

it may not give you quite what you want, but i think you could get close.

your morphing square-circle will need to be precomped, then create a shape layer with a gradient fill and adjust the gradient to go top-to-bottom.

apply the time displacement effect to the precomp, select the shape layer as the layer map and adjust the displacement time to see if you can get what you need.

i think if you animate the displacement time to start at 0 when the morph starts, then increase to the duration of the morph at the midpoint, then back to zero at the end of the morph, you'll be close...

ex: say your morph from square to circle is 4 seconds. on the first frame set the time displacement to 0, at the 2 second mark, set it to 4 and ad the 4 second mark set it back to 0.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sam MattsonRe: A way to do a ramped Reshape?
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:21:42 am

I have severely underutilized this effect. It's damn close to what I'm looking for and with a little warp effect on top will do just what I want. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]