ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animation Codec for Editing in PPro / Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob FreseAnimation Codec for Editing in PPro / Workflow
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:32:43 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working on a longform animation in After Effects that I plan on exporting and bringing into Premiere Pro for final editing -- what's the best codec for doing this?

Ideally I'm planning on using a low res proxy for the initial edit, then swapping it for a high quality one for the final export. Essentially it's a live-action footage workflow, except I'm creating the animated "footage" in After Effects.

I figure I can use any low res proxy for the initial edit, but it's that final export I'm worried about. Not sure if other people use this or a similar workflow.

I thought about replacing the proxies with dynamic links to the original AE sequences, but I'm not totally sure if that's a thing you can do (and if you can swap real clips with dynamically linked clips, etc).

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Animation Codec for Editing in PPro / Workflow
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:29:55 pm

Why would you use a low-res proxy for the initial edit? I think that you're bringing over old habits into the present day; Premiere Pro plays back multiple streams of very large video files natively, without the need for transcoding to a proxy for offline editing.

I recommend using a lossless (or nearly lossless) encoding scheme to render out your intermediate files from After Effects. ProRes 4444 is nearly lossless and plays back well in Premiere Pro. Animation and PNG video codecs in a QuickTime container are entirely lossless, but that may be overkill.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Rob FreseRe: Animation Codec for Editing in PPro / Workflow
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 4:21:11 pm

This is true, but unfortunately I'm doing this project on a slightly under-powered MacBook Pro, so I figure the edit will be a little smoother with faster proxies. But, you are right, I'm a former FCP user, so I'm a little stuck in my old ways.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved