ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to work out what assets After Effects is using?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
How to work out what assets After Effects is using?
on Jun 24, 2014 at 8:14:42 am

Hi,

We've got a bit of a messy comp. Lots of experimenting and lots of folders/assets. The trouble is, now the project is finished the client wants the raw files/AE so they can export themselves.

Although not necessary, I'd like to ditch everything the final comp isn't using. This way, they'll have a nice, neat and tidy AE file with only the things they need to worry about.

We've got a rather rudimentary system so far, only copying and relinking assets within the timeline, then deleting everything else, but if you see the comp, you'd understand the need for a 'function' to just tell us what's being actively used and what isn't.

I know in FCPX there is a way to do this easily - telling us what footage is being used and what isn't. However, I cannot see a way in AE of doing this?

Kind regards,

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Bhavesh Jadav
Re: How to work out what assets After Effects is using?
on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:09:48 am

Hi Olly,

You can do that by going to file menu>Remove Unused footage.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to work out what assets After Effects is using?
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:27:00 pm

Bhavesh is right.

A couple other related tips:

You can select a comp (or really any selection in the project panel), then use File > Dependencies > Reduce project... and it will remove everything not required for the selection. This can be very helpful when you have many comps in the same Ae project and want to reduce it down to just one or two.

You can also filter the project panel. In the project panel search box, type "used" or "unused" to see what elements are used and unused in the project, respectively.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]