ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stickers on car

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Stickers on car
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:41:00 pm

Hi,

I have a clip of a car on a neutral white background that Im supposed to put some stickers on. Actually, the stickers are going to be animated on the doors, the hood of car etc.
I think I will just make the sticker layers 3D, put them in the correct position and blend them on with a multiply mode.

Any suggestion on how to improve the photorealistm? I think the blending mode will do as the car has some reflections.

Any suggestion on how to animated them on? Its a very short clip (four second). I have thought about the page curl, but maybe I could go for something else.

Stig

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: Stickers on car
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:28:26 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kay on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:34:34 pm

You could certainly place the stickers on in that fashion and have their movement match the movement of the car. Though I'd also look at some of the warping options such that the stickers match the contours of the car rather than being completely flat. Its a similar idea to a thread a bit lower about putting in a fake scar. Though in this case I'm not sure my first attempt would be puppet pinning as that tends to have a bit more organic feet rather than the flat unchanging surface of a vehicle.

There are multiple things you can do with blending modes, opacities, lights, shadows, and reflections that can improve photo-realism (well as photo-realistic as animated stickers can be). Honestly don't know where to begin.

If you are feeling fancy you could create a projection such that the stickers are projected onto the car (http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_camera_projection/ http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_camera_projection_2/). I think the process is really slick, but it can also be extremely time consuming depending on the footage. Though those videos should give you a few ideas of the things you can do with lights/shadows/reflections.

To animate the stickers, just subcomp the sticker and animate within the subcomp.

EDIT: Oh wait I had an idea that should be simple to attempt. Create puppet pins at vertices on the door/hood, track the motion of each point, and apply the path to the puppet pin (from a starting point where the sticker is correctly placed).

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:34:29 pm

Thank you very much. The car is standing still as in a studio shot with white background. I might try the puppet tools. Any other good solutions to "bend" the stickers? Stig

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jun 23, 2014 at 10:40:36 pm

In the effects panel there is a whole selection of effects listed under "distort". Though the final result will still be a flat 2D layer as AE can't actually bend in 3D, so the 3D look will have to be faked.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:15:54 am

Thank you.

What is the best way to bend graphics like this? I cant find Puppet to work on letters as it will not treat all the letters together.

Stig

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:03:15 pm

Subcomp it.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:13:19 pm

Ok,

So you dont know of any other way to bend the layer without using the puppet took? I find it hard to use, even if Im precomposing the layers.

Stig

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:42:11 pm

There is a whole list of effects under distortion. Some wouldn't be useful for this, but several of them will distort a layer in a similar manner as pinning, but the distortion is more defined and controlled.

I'm certain pinning would work, but its not something that I end up using particularly often, so I can't give a lot of good tips. I'm sure there are others that could give a better explanation.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:33:05 pm

Ok, thank you Jeff! Stig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]