ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Master Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben VelazquezText Master Layer
by on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:10:55 pm

Hello all,
Right now, I have 3 after effects template projects that I've created for 3 different brands. The videos have animated titles for each video segment that we are producing. Each brand has their own unique brand guidelines (desired fonts and colors, etc.) I am trying to figure out a way to consolidate all three AE projects. Essentially what I want is one master TEXT composition within the project. When I edit the text in this composition, it changes the text across all three projects. The text will be in the right font for each brand and correct colors and the animations will stay the same. I have no problem importing all three projects into one master project but I cannot get the text to change to the different styles appropriately. Any ideas on how to do this?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Text Master Layer
by on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:37:15 pm

All you have to do is parent the source text property. Then whenever you update the master text, the text will change in all the other child layers.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Text Master Layer
by on Jun 20, 2014 at 6:13:09 pm

For clarity, George is referring to pickwhipping from the source text property of the "follower" layer to the source text property of the "leader" layer (which is not really parenting per se).

To find the source text property, twirl open the text layer, then twirl open the Text group.

You can re-arrange the tabs of the timeline panel into separate panes to make the pickwhipping easier to do. You can also write the source text expression directly. It will look something like this:

comp("Comp Name").layer("Text Layer Name").text.sourceText

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kevin PrangeRe: Text Master Layer
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:48:37 pm

Walter - Thanks for the expression text. I had the pickwhip to the layer in the other composition, but I did not the .text.sourceText

It did the trick.

Kevin Prange
NAED, St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved