ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James MalcolmCS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:30:45 am

Hi all,

Could someone confirm that AE CC 2014 is still able to save its projects as CS6 files?

Best,
James

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:20:10 pm

Ae CC 2014 can save down one version, to Ae CC (v12).

To save to CS6, you'll have to save down from Ae CC 2014 then open and save down again from Ae CC (v12).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:11:16 pm

Walter is correct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

James MalcolmRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Jun 21, 2014 at 11:14:14 am

Great, thanks for your responses.

Return to posts index

Zachary McFarlenRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Nov 7, 2014 at 1:22:18 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your help on this and other issues. I recall reading in another thread that you planned for future releases (beyond CC) to include a direct Save as CS6 option. Can this still happen? Please?

If each future release only allows 1 save backward, that will create a huge inefficiency for any of us who need to deliver project files to clients who are (super) late adopters of Creative Cloud. I understand your team has to pick and choose which features to devote time and resources on (i.e. moving MP4 encoder to AME), but removing some of these format and compatibility things can impact workflow significantly.

Thanks again for a great product and lots of support on the forums. Best regards!

Return to posts index

Mark PearceRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Jan 22, 2015 at 11:26:11 am

Please streamline this process to include a save to cs6.

Yes I know I can save to CC12, then go to cc12 and save to cs6.

This is just punishing those of us who maintain a subscription and making it harder to work in mixed environments,

Return to posts index

Matt RandoniRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:29:02 pm

Ok, i've saved down a project from CC2014 to CC(12)
Now, how can i install Adobe After Effects CC(12) (with whom i will save down the CS6 version of the project)?
Now i have only CC2014 installed with Creative Cloud...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:38:40 pm

After Effects CC (12) is also available through the Creative Cloud desktop application.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Matt RandoniRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:13:38 pm

Sorry but i don't see the CC12 version in the Creative Cloud app.
If i filter by "all versions" or by "audio/video" i see After Effects CC(2014) but if i filter by "previous versions" i see only Edge Animate CC and Gaming SDK
No way to see After Effects CC(12)!

Maybe because i'm using the italian version of Creative Cloud? I don't figure out how to change the Creative Cloud language, if i change language in english (in the Preference / Apps tab) this affects only the language of the downloaded apps, not the Creative Cloud itself... DUring the installation process of Creative Cloud there isn't any choice to select a language...
It's getting really annoying...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:33:07 pm

If you're having trouble with the Creative Cloud desktop application, I recommend asking questions here, where the experts on the Creative Cloud desktop application are:
https://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Martyna JaderRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 8:44:44 pm

Hi! I have the same problem - I can't see the CC 12 version avaible to download - have you find the way to solve it?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:22:21 pm

[Martyna Jader] " I can't see the CC 12 version avaible to download"

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/install-apps.html#previous

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter WallaceRe: CS6 back-compatibility in AE CC 2014
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 1:40:44 am

I have down saved from AE version 2015.0.1 to CC12 and there is not an option to save to CS6. When I go to save as there is only the option to save down to CC(12)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2016 at 5:29:21 am

You have to open the project file in CC (version 12). It's discussed much earlier in the thread.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2016 at 5:31:26 am

But I dont have version 12. I only have 2015 which is showing up as version 13.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2016 at 2:10:16 pm

[Walter Wallace] "But I dont have version 12. I only have 2015 which is showing up as version 13."

Then download it and install it.

CC 2015 is version 13.5-13.7
CC 2014 is version 13.0-13.2
CC is version 12-12.2
and CS6 is version 11.
All of them can be installed side-by-side on your computer with no issues.

If you don't know how to download it, here are instructions: http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previou...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2016 at 5:50:37 pm

This seems ridiculous... why would they make it so hard for their customers. This is just an added step that I am going to have to do. It seems quite easy to fix something like this especially since a lot of their users have not upgraded to CC.

Thanks for all your help Michael! :)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2016 at 6:31:19 pm

[Walter Wallace] "This seems ridiculous... why would they make it so hard for their customers. This is just an added step that I am going to have to do. It seems quite easy to fix something like this especially since a lot of their users have not upgraded to CC."

Well, before CS6, you couldn't even save back to a previous version! So, to an "old-timer" like me, the fact that you can even save back at all is a huge blessing!

The After Effects team is really small. I've had the chance to hang out with most of them. I talked with them about this save back feature (both before and after it was added). Adding the save back feature for each version takes a LOT of testing time. Since we have a process that works, I would rather they focus their development and testing on getting the new architecture of AE working correctly, reintroduce some form of multi-threaded renderer, and move into the future instead of spending what few person-hours they have testing a workflow for folks with machines stuck in the past. It's a very minor step to open, re-save, and check. I think the trade-off is worth it.

My personal opinion is that If someone doesn't want to upgrade to the new version, they should expect to feel left out of some new things. I remember when Photoshop's new brush engine came out, I had to deal with the fact that I couldn't use the new brushes people were sharing online until I paid to upgrade my suite. (This was something like ten years ago, but I still remember the pain; those new brushes looked so nice!)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]