ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

time-lapse stabilisation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Godardtime-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 7:00:17 pm

Hi
It is a long time I have been here... I hope I will get some good suggestion from you...
I have about 5000 jpg images taken from a fixed camera over 2 years.
The first problem is that every 2-3 months the camera box was opened and so the viewing angle changed slightly (move, rotate and even scale).
I have been trying wrap stabiliser and stabilise motion of the latest AE version but everything fails.
Wrap Stabiliser took about 30 min to analyse my images, then I selected result no motion (as I want my image fixed) and stabilise/crop/auto-scale as I have plenty of extra image around the final 1080p frame. The final message was : stabilisation failed.
In Stabilise Motion, I selected position, rotation and scale and I positioned the 2 tracking points on 2 highly contrasted and evident details of the image. As soon as I click the analyse arrows, the tracking points go all around the image!
What am I doing wrong?

Paul Godard - Soul Photography

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 7:59:27 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:08:00 pm

Did you import these as an image sequence, to which you would then apply Warp Stabilizer?

Failing that -- and I hate to say this with 5000 images -- but you may have to line them up manually.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul GodardRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:13:11 pm

Yes I import as multiple images, and I followed the 2-3 tutorials on the subject.
What is very weird is that whatever track points I select (relatively contrasted details of image), as soon as I click the arrows, these points move all over my image, as they do not see the pixels at all... there must be something wrong there!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:20:33 pm

Importing multiple images may be incorrect. Import the images as an image sequence, then apply an appropriate frame rate to the sequence in the Interpre Footage settings.

In doing so, you'll have ONE additional piece of footage... not 5000.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:36:15 pm

There is no import image sequence in CSS6, only import multiple files... as said in the tutorial.

Return to posts index

Curtis CosbyRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 8:57:21 pm

Do to import multiple files select all your files then you should get a check box that says jpeg sequence, check that box then give it a try. It should come in as one file instead of 5000 like Dave said.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:31:32 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Waldron on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33:49 pm

There is no "Import Image Sequence" in After Effects, and you don't want to import multiple files. To import an image sequence, first make sure all the photos you want to use are in the same folder. Then click "File-->Import--> File..." (or press Command+I on your keyboard), select the first photo in your sequence and check the box below the files that says "RAW Sequence" (or JPEG Sequence or PNG, whatever your format is). When you click "Open" it will automatically make a sequence with all the photos in your folder.

This will be one file in your After Effects project, so you don't have to deal with the 5000 photos on your timeline. Just drop it into your composition like you would a video file.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42:42 pm

Yep! This is exactly what I have done...
So why is it so complicate to align these images?
What should I do?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:16:29 pm

I take it you now have an image sequence. AE treats it just like it would treat a piece of video.

In normal stabilization for video, the piece you want to stabilize does NOT suddenly make large changes in position and scale from one frame to the next... but you say that yours does in many cases.

AE might simply be incabable of stabilizing this footage, and you may have to do what I feared: you may have to line each image up manually.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:22:46 pm

If Warp Stabilizer isn't doing it, maybe try this technique in Photoshop.

I've never done it, but theoretically it should solve your problem.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:51:21 am

Thank you for the suggestion but the PSD will not work in my case. My images are 4000 px wide and I have 2 sets of +/- 4000 images.

I am not an expert in AE, but as I understand the way "stabilise motion" works with 2 track points, here is my idea, considering the fact that the whole set of images (4000) is composed of several subsets (100-400) of identical images, where the variation (move, rotate & scale) only applies between each subsets.

The first step is to identify all the frames where the changes happen. Easy.
The second step would be to add keyframe for the track points on each of these frames. How do I do that instead of using the analyse arrows for AE to set the keyframes manually... I have no idea!
The last step would just be to apply the stabilise motion as normal.

Would that work? Can an AE expert tell me how to do step 2?

Return to posts index

Brian PurcellRe: time-lapse stabilisation
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 3:49:12 am

I realize this is an old post, but to answer the question, if you're using the track motion feature, and you see that you're tracking points are all over the place, you "simply" have to go through using through using those arrows and adjusting the tracking point so it aligns correctly. I say simply because depending shot this could be a simple as adjusting 2 tracking points out of 1000 or a pain in the ass of doing 1000/5000. I don't claim to be an after effects expert but this is just my experience with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]