ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

color grading GoPro Protune footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Flemingcolor grading GoPro Protune footage
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 12:06:46 pm

I've been handed a bunch of GoPro footage, shot 1080p, narrow FOV, Protune mode, and now I need to color grade it. I'm nobody's colorist, and I'm looking for some advice/articles/tutorials from anyone familiar with color grading this footage. Once it gets past basic levels and curves adjustments, I'm pretty much out of my league.

Google results were pretty sparse...any advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: color grading GoPro Protune footage
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 1:09:20 pm

It's good that it was shot in Protune as that is somewhat akin to raw. A lot of color grading is just taste. I've found that the channel mixer is really good for getting great color. It essentially lets you affect the RGB of each RGB channel. Is that confusing? Basically you can affect the red, green and blue of the red channel. You can also effect the red, green, and blue, or the green channel etc.

Also, if you have a part of the frame you want to affect differently, think about duplicating the footage, masking and feathering it (or keep it sharp if need be), then applying the adjustment.

There is a lot to color grading, tutorials for days, but those are just two things to play with.

Oh ya, don't forget gradient overlays.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: color grading GoPro Protune footage
by on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:06:46 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:08:17 pm

too bad ae doesn't natively support color density solids, 3 strip technicolor, skin and background separation. you need a bunch of layers or an expensive plugin. color finesse hasn't changed in 10 years. Try speedgrade which is part of adobe, or davinci or lustre because you're gonna get disappointed really really fast if you use AE's hue control, just say'n. and what is up with channel mixer only being

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved