ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change the colour of an object in video footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holly ManningChange the colour of an object in video footage
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:40:24 am

Hi There,

I received some footage of a head and shoulders shot of a woman talking. She's wearing a white dress and cream shawl and i have been asked to change the colour of the shawl. Obviously as the colours in the footage are quite similar, it mat not be easy to do, but can anyone give me any pointers?
So far i've found the best way is to duplicate the layer, colour correct it and mask the shawl, but this is very time consuming.
Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Change the colour of an object in video footage
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 1:26:26 pm

It's called Secondary Color Correction, and it involves isolating the color range of the element you want to change, then changing it. A white dress with a cream shawl may be a tough one, since the cream is close to the white, and the shawl on top of the white is going to cast shadows pretty much the same color as the shawl. You could use Color Finesse:

If the CC is proving too difficult, you might have to duplicate the layer, then use the Roto Brush (it will make the masking job easier, but you have to learn it) to isolate the shawl (if that's even possible), or suggest to the client that they schedule a reshoot, since costume changes are generally accomplished with real clothing, not in post. Not everything is possible to fix in post.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved