ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate fill/create trail

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anoek HoubenAnimate fill/create trail
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 2:01:30 pm

Ok, this is probably very easy and I think I'm searching the wrong terms but I can't for the love of me figure this out.

I want to have a dot travel along a path with a sort of feather/light trail behind it. The dot travelling is not the hard part, the trail is? How can I give it a trail?
I want to start it from left to right, and when it stops at right I want it to be a gradient: left is white, right is green (or whatever). So basically it is like animating a gradient.

Anyone gut suggestions? Or more questions because I'm not sure I'm clear

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animate fill/create trail
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:47:48 pm

This would be relatively easy with particular. With the standard AE effects, you can get a decent trail by precomping your dot, add an echo effect to the precomp and perhaps a little blur to that. I'd probably duplicate that layer, place it above the initial layer and remove the effects.

Getting the color change is a bit more difficult. You could then precomp everything, create a green to white gradient layer, that is the approximate length of your dot/trail and then use the dot trail as an alpha matte. You could even copy the original dot, turn off it's opacity, and parent the gradient to the dot, locking the color into position.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animate fill/create trail
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:50:31 pm

This tutorial explains how to get a stream behind a dot with the standard AE effects.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anoek HoubenRe: Animate fill/create trail
by on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:01:59 am

O my! Because I'm so busy with my graduating project, I totally forgot to reply to the suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestions, the tutorial was exactly what I needed! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved