ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David ChapmanStrange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:00:39 pm

Hi there -

I'm trying to get a camera to follow a mask path, almost as if it is a POV from a car or something. I want the camera just slightly above the path, looking down a little.

I've copied a mask path onto the position co-ordinates of a null object and parented it to a camera. I've then told the null object to 'orient towards path'. Then I changed the z rotation of the camera to 270 degrees (otherwise it wouldn't sit in the right plane) Although there was a bit of jiggery-pokery here, it seemed to work on first inspection...

HOWEVER…

I've then realised that when the camera goes 'round a corner' (or round a curve on the mask that it follows) it seems to 'flip' to the other side of the solid that I've lined the camera up to (to be in the POV position). Having inspected it closer, it seems that over the space of 1 frame, the null object flips to the other side, giving the impression of a reflected image, and then it carries on, on the new side. This happen a few times over the course of the comp - and I just don't know how to fix it or what I've done wrong! Any help or tips would be brilliant.

I've attached my project to this post.

Thanks, Dave

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Strange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:11:26 pm

It sounds like you may be using a 2-node camera and the camera is flipping around to look at its Point of Interest.

Either animate the POI as well as the camera or change the camera to a one-node camera.

Return to posts index

David ChapmanRe: Strange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:06:55 am

Hi Brian - just checked and it is a one-node I'm using - that was one of the first things I checked too.

Return to posts index

Evan RobinsonRe: Strange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:06:30 pm

Have you tried disabling auto orientation for the camera?

E. Robinson

Return to posts index

David ChapmanRe: Strange 'flipping' on camera path parented to a null object
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:10:48 am

Yes auto-orient on the camera is off - since it is parented to the null, I didn't think it would make much difference? Out of curiosity - are you able to see my uploaded project? I don't use CC that often - and had trouble with my posting!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]