ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Watch_Dogs" skill tree effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Ames"Watch_Dogs" skill tree effect
by on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:10:29 pm
Last Edited By Philip Ames on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:21:26 pm

not sure if anyone has spent any time with ubisoft's "watch dogs" game, but there's a certain effect in the operation of the skills menu that i'd love to understand (

, 0:50 up until about 0:58).

curious if anyone could explain what kind of math/code witchcraft expands one while shrinking others.

many thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: "Watch_Dogs" skill tree effect
by on Jun 11, 2014 at 6:21:01 am

It looks like all of it can be done by animating individual elements and masks. The trick for the line elements that are "branching out" is to have the Anchor point in the center of the circle.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: "Watch_Dogs" skill tree effect
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:38:34 pm

"Connect layers" is a free script from motion boutique that would be very helpful to you. You select the layers that you want to connect, run the script, then a line is drawn that connects them, and the line automatically follows the layers wherever you animate them. Very time saving. They are also shape layers so you can change stroke width, color, etc

Return to posts index

Philip AmesRe: "Watch_Dogs" skill tree effect
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:22:01 pm

that's great, thank you. i had the outer connections figured out, but it was how everything responded to the movement of the inner circle that's puzzled me - like when 'red' expands, 'yellow' and 'blue' contract. i think this might definitely help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved