ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a particle system constrained to a picture/illustrator vector file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Pitzen
Creating a particle system constrained to a picture/illustrator vector file
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:57:38 am

Hey there geniuses! I am trying to make something like this:

http://videohive.net/item/world-map-particle-formation-black-white/7895846?...

But I would like to use a 3d particle system and just constrain it using a vector picture of the world map. I would like to have more particles than this video more densely packed to crate a solid color instead of this grid they have in the video. The reason I want some type of part ice system is because we plan to do some other things with the specific particles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Brandon

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Creating a particle system constrained to a picture/illustrator vector file
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:39:56 pm

Trapcode Form [link] is the go-to particle system for effects like this. Instead of an emitter that generates particles over time that follow certain rules like Particular or CC Particle World, Form instantaneously generates all the particles in the system, then lets you control them via a set of noise parameters and custom layers.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brandon Pitzen
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:32:21 pm

Walter,
Thanks for the quick reply! I actually figured out how to get the particles to form the map. My issue now is I can't get it to have that depth with the flying camera like in the example. I have tried displacement but it just throws everything around. I want the picture to be formed as the camera flys back. Any clue how I could do this? I have an idea of how to animate a bunch of parameters to make it happen but I would love to know if there is a simpler way.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:58:51 pm

Assuming you are using Form, you can create a black and white layer matte for displacement. In Form > Layer Maps > Displayment, use Functionality: Individual XYZ, Map Over: XY, and choose your mapped precomp for Layer for Z.

If a pixel in the map is middle gray, it has no displacement effect on its corresponding particle in Form. If it's black, it pulls it toward the camera. If it's white, it pushes it away. The Strength parameter controls how strong the displacement is, and Invert lets you flip it around.

Now all your animation is done by animating that black and white precomp. Any image manipulations you make there are translated to particle displacement manipulations in Form.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]