ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott RosenkrantzReplacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 9:54:10 pm

Hi,

I have a difficult shot to track in AE. It contains an older version of a product for my client (see screenshot). My task is to overlay the new label (a 2D image) on top of the product and to track it as the camera pans. The note provided to me was that the new image looks like it is levitating.

Is there a way to ground the label to the table and still track smoothly over the older product? If anyone knows of a thread here for reference, could you please link me to it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58:05 pm

It sounds like you've already done it once. What did you do?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nate LiebermannRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:26:57 am

Hi David, sincerest apologies for replying on a different topic, but I don't know how else to reach you on here. I've been having some trouble with the CC Split effect on a talking dog video I'm working on. There are two dogs and I've already used CC Split to animate the first one and use an audio amplitude for corresponding dialogue, and it works fine. The problem is that every time I try to use multiple cc split effects, the mouth of those effects move concurrent to parts of the audio of the other tracks, so for example the first dog will still be talking and the other dog's mouth will move with it and then will continue with its own audio.

Again, so so so sorry for barging in with an unrelated topic!

Many thanks for reading.

Nate

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:42:59 pm

Once you have one CC Split effect in place and working properly, precompose that layer (along with the corresponding audio) and move all the effects to the new composition. Then apply another CC Split effect. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Generally, if there are any issues with multiple effects on a single layer, precomposing fixes them.

Return to posts index

Scott RosenkrantzRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:47:16 pm
Last Edited By Scott Rosenkrantz on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:48:33 pm

Yes. The first time I tried implementing the new label, I added position and scaling keyframes so that the image gets smaller as the camera in the shot moves away from it. Additionally, I applied blur and grain effects -- and a light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6xcjpub0h21oxf/test%20%281%29.mp4

I've included the shot here in a Dropbox link. I am wondering if there is another AE technique I could use besides using keyframes so that the image doesn't bounce when the camera bounces (or are keyframes the way to go?)

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:41:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:46:31 pm

I only got one brief look at that shot before it went south on me. Did I actually see a focus change in the shot? Did I actually see a not-very smooth camera move? It went by so fast!
If I saw what I thought I saw, Lord, no, I wouldn't touch that repair with a ten-foot pole. I'd reshoot.

Someone braver than I am will have to offer a suggestion for that.

And on that CC Split deal, I'd do each split on a separate layer, then mask off the unnecessary parts to build up the shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonan GroblerRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 11, 2014 at 9:26:02 am

Hi Scott,

In the shot you've provided, it looks like you're tracking a whole new bottle on, and not just a label?

Can we see the original shot, to best advise you as to how to go about this?

As good ole Dave says, reshooting would be easiest, but we all know that's not always feasible! ;) If we can see the original shot, we could tell you if you HAVE to reshoot or not.

Jonan Grobler
Editor/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Scott RosenkrantzRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 11, 2014 at 2:52:53 pm

I appreciate you taking a look at it, Dave!

Hi Jonan, here's the Dropbox link to the original shot (you're right, it's the bottle and not just the label I'm replacing.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a27y0sx7m3pcnhc/test02.mp4

Just out of curiosity -- what are you looking for to determine whether a reshoot is necessary or not?

Return to posts index

Jonan GroblerRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 11, 2014 at 4:12:07 pm

Hi Scott - short answer, yes, you'd need a reshoot.

What I was wanting to see was whether the focus/depth of field was like it was in the shot you edited. Evidently not. So that's good.

What's bad, though, is the way the camera is moving. For nodal tracking, you don't want the camera moving in y-space - back and forth. You need to do a camera track, which is a whole mission in and of itself. I'd probably try tracking the table in Mocha.

Say we do get a good track (difficult!) you have the main problem: the bottle is a sphere, it's not a flat plane. ie the one side of the bottle needs to wrap around, disappear behind. If I'm making sense.

Obviously, it's possible. We've all seen what they did on the Avengers and X-Men and all those crazy movies. However, we definitely don't have their budget! Reshooting will be easiest. Sorry.

Dave, you were right. Of course. As always ;)

Jonan Grobler
Editor/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Replacing Older Product With Newer Version in Video?
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:54:00 pm

You will definitely need this bottle to be 3D, not a 2D image of a bottle. Do you have access to 3D software? If you're using AE CC then Cinema 4D lite is all you need. You will need to know very basic modeling and texturing, but as it is basically just a cylinder it's not extremely advanced. But you will need to model the bottle, texture it properly, light it to match the scene, have a solid camera track, and then fake a shadow.

It's definitely possible but as others have said, it will be MUCH easier to re-shoot, and will likely look many times better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]