ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Liquid motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max BaxterLiquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:51:33 pm

I'm not too sure if it is liquid motion but it's probably the best description I can give of it.
I want to have a 2D circle to fall as a liquid reach the bottom of the frame and them come back up in a square; all in 2D. I don't know how to do this and I can't find an example of it. If anybody has any clue how this is done please let me know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:14:29 pm

That kind of stuff tends to be done frame by frame. Unfortunately, there's not really an easy way to do it. A lot of people just draw each frame in photoshop by hand

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Max BaxterRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:25:31 pm

dang it. So there's no way at all to do it within after effects. That's a pain.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:47:27 pm

There are plenty of ways to do it in After Effects.

You could do a hand-animation of a mask. You could use a variety of effects from the Distort category.

Personally, I'd use a shape layer. Add a rectangle, add a fill, and keyframe the "Roundness" property of the rectangle path to go from a rectangle to a circle.

I'd add on perhaps a Bezier Warp effect that I'd animate for the "liquid" effect as the drop falls.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:51:16 pm

Max -

The one way I can think of achieving it is to use a circle and a square imported from Illustrator. As of CS6, you have the ability to tweak the actual nodes of the Illustrator file. In order for the Circle to "liquefy", it will have to have way more than the four nodes which usually comprise a circle. I would start with the circle and square in the same screen position, then animate just the circle's nodes as it moves down the screen and then heads back up towards becoming the square. The trick is going to be getting the next to last frame of the circle as close as possible to the square shape, then for the last frame, make the circle's opacity zero and pop on the square shape. It's pretty involved as well. You might do better using morphing software, then importing the clip into AE.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:46:47 pm

[Max Baxter] "I want to have a 2D circle to fall as a liquid reach the bottom of the frame and them come back up in a square; all in 2D. I don't know how to do this and I can't find an example of it."

I'm having difficulty trying to visualize what you describe.

Do you mean that the falling circle becomes individual drops of liquid (think of ice melting and dripping) or that it pours to the bottom of the frame like water from a container?

In the first case you may be able to use a particle system, in the second a distortion. Otherwise George is correct, you have some frame-by-frame work ahead of you. Welcome to the world of animation.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:29:26 am

I want the circle to fall like a piece of jelly then bounce right back up to be a square.

I'm already in that world of animation studying it for almost 2 years now.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:39:44 pm

[Max Baxter] "I want the circle to fall like a piece of jelly then bounce right back up to be a square.

I'm already in that world of animation studying it for almost 2 years now. "

I meant no offence by my remark, I hope you didn't take it that way.

In addition to the other excellent suggestions you might try using CC Flow Motion. I got this result after a few minutes tinkering.

Flo Motion Distortion

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:45:28 pm
Last Edited By Max Baxter on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:46:31 pm

No I didn't, my apologies if it came across like that. That technique is EXACTLY what I want. You are a life saver, Thanks very much

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2014 at 8:06:09 pm

Here's the project file if that helps.

7616_circletosquare.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2014 at 10:19:10 pm

that's brilliant. Now how would I change it from being a stop watch to being a person. I thought if we did Circle to Square it'd work fine but the way you did it wouldn't work changing between two files. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2014 at 1:05:43 am

[Max Baxter] "that's brilliant. Now how would I change it from being a stop watch to being a person. I thought if we did Circle to Square it'd work fine but the way you did it wouldn't work changing between two files. Any thoughts?"

If the morph from one object to another happens in the nested composition, the rest is easy. Here is an example:

7617_circletomancs5.5.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2014 at 4:24:31 pm

that's great. I'm trying to figure out how you got it to transform to being the man but I have no idea, please could you expand how you did this please?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:09:55 pm

[Max Baxter] "I'm trying to figure out how you got it to transform to being the man but I have no idea, please could you expand how you did this please?"

Its a mask path on a solid layer. The mask path is keyframed.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2014 at 6:42:35 pm

[Max Baxter] "I'm trying to figure out how you got it to transform to being the man but I have no idea, please could you expand how you did this please?"

Its a mask path on a solid layer. The mask path is keyframed.

Here's a technique using still images:

Image Morph with Flo Motion

Return to posts index

Stephen WisemanRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:27:34 am

This could help you in some way...I quite often morph objects by overlapping their layers by the amount of time i want the transition to take place. Then keyframe the first object with a fast blur to increase over this transition period & take opacity down to zero. At the same time blur and fade the the second one to come appear. Pre comp these layers and add a matte choker to the new comp. Adjust the levels of the choker till you get the required settings for a clean transition animation. There is no reason you couldn't apply this as your circle falls into the floor and again as a rectangle rises from it.
Hope this helps! I saw a tutorial doing something similar once on youtube but can't find it now, you may have better luck searching, it's handy trick!

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07:30 am

If you own the plugin Newton you can make very convincing 2D water with it. Hard to explain the process quickly, but I found a tutorial that uses a technique very similar to the one I've used in the past.

Try this:

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Liquid motion
by on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:04:48 pm

Wow this is a really great technique. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]