ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Codec names are in a different language?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Falk
Codec names are in a different language?
on Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01:54 pm

Hi All

This is kind of trivial but also kind of weird and annoying.

I have a fully licensed version of CS5 Production Premium. It is an English language version.

For some reason, some of the codec names are suddenly in Norwegian. I live in Norway but this has only just started to happen and I have never seen it before.

This is the case in both Premiere and After Effects.

I'm running an English version of W7 Professional. My browser language is set to English.

The only setting that is Norwegian is the keyboard, and that has always been the case, no change there.

So - anyone know how to turn them back to English?

Totally bizarre! It's bugging the pants off me at the moment so any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Codec names are in a different language?
on Jun 9, 2014 at 1:09:08 pm

Computers don't change things without receiving instructions to do so. So something told it to do that. Have you any idea what changed? Windows update? Install any codec packs? Install any software?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Jun 9, 2014 at 1:34:00 pm

Hi Michael

Thanks for your response - I fully agree. But no, I never touch codec packs,of course there are Windows updates going on but to track that down would be a needle in a haystack situation as I don't know for sure when this change occurred.

Seems to be affecting on Quicktime codecs - so I just this second took a look and in QT Pro, the exporter is in Norwegian so there's the culprit - yet QT is set to English, but anyway - a bit closer.

I'll post once solved

Best wishes and thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Jun 9, 2014 at 2:06:01 pm

Right - QED.

Turns out you need every single regional setting set to the 'language' you want to end up with AND you need to go via a proxy otherwise Apple works out where you are and over-rides all your settings anyway - how intelligent.

Apple have yet to get their collective heads around the fact that in 2014 the world is fairly small and many people migrate. The concept of an person living somewhere other than their country of birth is beyond them it seems.

If anyone else has the issue that is the fix - once installed you can also switch your settings back and QT does not change.

What is particularly crazy is that it only seems to affect half the program - just the exporter and the installation stuff.

Anyway - problem solved and thanks for your input.

Jay

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:55:01 pm

That is a crazy problem and a smart solution! Thanks for getting back with what worked.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]