ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Not enough RAM to render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernhard Walzl
Not enough RAM to render
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:00:02 pm

Hi!

I have a comp with lots of high-resolution images. (i am zooming in, so i needed them to be highres)

when i want to render, i get an error: 7 ยง 66, i need to install more RAM.

I am running AE on a Macbook Pro with 4 Gigs of RAM and I allocated AE the most RAM I could (2,5). I also set the Cache Disk very high, in hope it would help. Yes, I also tried to restart my machine already.

So, I was wondering what can I do about this.

Thanks for your help,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Not enough RAM to render
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:03:51 pm

Install more RAM. Turn multiprocessing off.
But seriously, install more RAM.

You haven't shared what version of AE you're using, but if it's CC, you are running on the bare minimum that will even let the software launch.

You say they're high res. How big are they? How far into them are you zooming? What's your comp size? How many pictures are on screen at once?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:07:25 pm

Sorry, yes, I am running CC, there are about 4 images with more than 10000 pixel.

I can't install more than 4GB or RAM. I would need a newer machine (which is not an option at the moment)

I think I will split the high-res images in half and join them together in a null-object.

It is a lot of work for 5 seconds to render, so i was hoping there is a fancy way out of this render-dilemma.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:40:55 pm

Make those still mages smaller. If not, happy parenting, and hope it works.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:34:52 pm

What year MacBook do you have that is limited to 4GB of ram?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Jun 4, 2014 at 6:04:50 pm

its a late 2008.

but after some googling i found out I can actually put 8gig in there:

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. Originally, this model was only unofficially capable of stably supporting 6 GB of RAM, but as confirmed by site sponsor OWC, it is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM if updated to Boot ROM Version MB51.007D.B03 and running MacOS X 10.
"Snow Leopard" or higher.

this info was not out there yet when i bought it a few years ago :-)

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
on Jun 4, 2014 at 8:14:38 pm

Can you render a single frame? If the answer is "yes" you can try setting AE to purge every frame during make movie using After Effects' "Secret" preferences.

To access the secret preferences, press up, down, up, down, left, right....

err wrong secret.

To access the secret preferences, hold down shift while choosing any preference from the preference menu.
You should see a secret pane at the bottom.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Jun 4, 2014 at 8:20:41 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I was able to render it already (redoing some of the work with vector graphics rather than quirky high res pictures).

Thanks for all your help, prompting me to by new parts for my computer and even a new computer, demanding to leave the entire sfx-business and secret tips, etc ;-)

bernhard

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:54:53 pm

Understand that people were trying to warn you that problems will arise quite often with workflow and rendering if you don't have enough ram for AE to function. 4GB is to low for AE and all features even with a Dual core. You have to remember the OS and graphics are using ram as well so you don't have much with 4GB to start to allocate for the player by itself. 8GB should smooth out basic workflows with a Dual core so the suggestion to 8GB as bare minimum is really something I would consider. 4GB sodimms are not that expensive.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Then Get More RAM!
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:04:52 pm

How does AE even operate on your machine? You are in desperate need of more memory. Think about getting 16 GB at least.

And if your machine can't hold that much RAM, you need to get a new machine.

That's what you need to do. No other way out of this. End of story.

Wait, there IS another way out of this -- don't use AE. But I don't think that's a very attractive option for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]