ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

make vector outlines handdrawn

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bobby mcgeemake vector outlines handdrawn
by on Jun 1, 2014 at 6:16:50 am

I've made an animation using vector lines in Flash and now want to give it a more rugged look, as if sketched by hand

I start with images of this sort

then import to ae, add a paper texture below, and stylize>roughen edges for the drawing layer, giving this

I'm still unsatisfied with the result, it doesn't feel like the line is bleeding into the paper, is there anything else I can add to make it feel more real? Was Roughen Edges the best way to get the initial result?

Thanks in advance for all advice

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: make vector outlines handdrawn
by on Jun 1, 2014 at 4:34:34 pm

I would suggest making a copy of the line drawing, putting it under the original one, then adding just a bit of noise, as well as a slight blur, to it. You might also try applying one of the layer modes to the layer with the effects on it (maybe Darken - play around with it). This should help out, since real ink has tiny granules of lamp black in it.

Also bear in mind that as ink is laid down, there is a certain amount of intensity loss, due to the ink load in the pen being depleted, so you might also want to introduce an adjustment layer which effects the opacity of the original as well. In that way, you'll get the intense blacks, as well as the lighter greys which are indicative of a "real" ink drawing.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

bobby mcgeeRe: make vector outlines handdrawn
by on Jun 2, 2014 at 1:39:42 am

Thank you for the ideas!

I know on top of that paper can form wrinkles around the inked areas, as here

but can't think of a way to imitate it, do you think it's possible using some combination of blurred turbulence and blending modes?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: make vector outlines handdrawn
by on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:02:02 pm

Oooh, oooh, oooh!
Use a precomp with a layer of Fractal Noise (or Turbulent Noise or whatever) inside it as the driving force for a Compound Blur effect. You would want the details of the map in the precomp to be rather small, but Compound Blur (possibly in conjunction with a Displacement Map effect) might be exactly what you want.

Also, I'd suggest tweaking with Roughen Edges a bit more as well. You can get it to be very different from the default results with enough tweaking.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: make vector outlines handdrawn
by on Jun 1, 2014 at 4:35:27 pm

To make it look like the lines are bleeding into the paper you can lower the opacity of the sketch layer and set its blending mode to Multiply.

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved