ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects cache on SSD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvi TwerskyAfter effects cache on SSD
by on May 29, 2014 at 6:48:03 pm

It's known that to improve performance in After Effects you should move your disk cache off of your system drive to a fast drive. But lets say my system drive is the fastest drive (I just got an SSD for my system drive)... so is it logical to move my cache back to the default system drive?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 29, 2014 at 7:39:30 pm

[Zvi Twersky] "But lets say my system drive is the fastest drive (I just got an SSD for my system drive)... so is it logical to move my cache back to the default system drive?"

Yes, the cache should be on your fastest disk.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 29, 2014 at 7:42:00 pm

Provided the SSD has a large enough capacity, yes, it makes sense... but you didn't say anything about the capacity of your SSD.
If your machine allows it, I'd just install the SSD and leave the system drive alone. Then use the SSD for the cache.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zvi TwerskyRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 29, 2014 at 8:02:41 pm

The capacity is 500GB and after installing everything, there is 218GB free. I DO want the SSD to be ny system drive for Windows now loads completely in 15 seconds and programs open with lightning speed.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2014 at 9:04:35 pm

I appreciate the fact that you like fast launches, but how often do you do that? Once a day for the OS? A few times for other applications?

Then consider how often during the day you would read and write media files while working in AE. I'd be tempted to copy media files to the SSD for the current project and use some of it for the cache. Now, THAT would be speedy! And when done with the project, move it back to a hard drive.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Zvi TwerskyRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 29, 2014 at 10:07:02 pm

Actually, I've thought of that idea and will definitely be trying it! Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 31, 2014 at 5:35:58 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on May 31, 2014 at 5:36:17 pm

Due to how SSD drives bypass using the permanent erase write cycles on the MLC, the drive will slow down over time due to garbage filling on the drive that has been deleted and not cleaned up. The firmware of the SSD decides how efficiently the SSD cleans up the drive but the drive will still slow down eventually. The way to reset the drive is to wipe it normally with writing zeros. That is easy to do on a media or cache drive but not easy to do on the OS. I would not suggest using the OS SSD drive for media at all. AE cache is fine but not the media cache or media files. If you want those on an SSD then get a 2nd just for those.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on May 30, 2014 at 1:35:41 am

This is really dependent on the kind of work you do, the kind of footage you use, etc. -- but I really like the OS and apps on an SSD. The difference in overall responsiveness is very pleasantly surprising, and I am moving all my systems over to SSD boot drives.

But for disk-intensive projects, yes, running them from fast storage can be a major productivity boost. Sometimes I use solid state storage for full-res proxies, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kiki MuchtarRe: After effects cache on SSD
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:47:37 pm

Hi Dave,

We deal with 2K editing—would 256GB SSD be enough for media cache storage?

Thanks.
Kiki

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2015 at 4:56:38 pm

That's a function of the number of comps previewed in any given project, their duration and how frequently you're willing to purge the caches when they fill up.

I can't address those variables for you. Only you can.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]