ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

DuiK elbows!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim lefevreDuiK elbows!!
by on May 29, 2014 at 1:15:50 pm

I am so wonderfully in love with DuiK, the Inverse Kinematics tool developed by Duduf and have used it for years now but I keep forgetting the 'elbow' frustration and was wondering if anyone had found the same and had managed a workaround?

Essentially the IK works a treat in creating comprehensive jointed puppets but when moving the hands (to move the arms) there are points where I would like to adjust the placing of the elbow which has its rotation locked into the most amazing ream of scripting which I just can't unpick!

I've noticed that Duduf's updated his site so I'm going to pop in and see if this has been evolved but was wondering if anyone else had come to the same problem (and solved it!!)

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: DuiK elbows!!
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 11:20:28 pm

Duduf's IK uses a lookAt expression tied to the controller layer's you create with the script.

I'm not sure what issue you're having with the elbow's. Duduf has some new tutorials with English sub-titles that explain the basis of the script.

Return to posts index

Daniel CantwellRe: DuiK elbows!!
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:38:57 pm

Hey! I know this was posted a while ago but I'm going to put up the solution I've found as I was looking this morning for an answer to this and there is very little on the interwebs about it. If you make a regular IK Chain,ie. puppet pin you arm in shoulder,elbow and wrist, select the layer and hit bones, parent wrist to elbow and elbow to shoulder click your wrist null and create a controller for it, select shoulder,elbow,wrist nulls along with wrist controller and hit IK. Once this is complete and you have a normal ik chain, duplicate the elbow controller and rename it elbow manipulator or whatever you want. Delete all the Ik in the effects panel, rotation and position and then match the position and rotation of the original elbow controller. Select your new elbow controller go to solid settings and make it twice as big pixel wise as your original so you can easily differentiate between the two. Parent this new controller to the original elbow controller with all the ik junk in it. Go into your puppet pins on your arm and in the elbow puppet pin rename the target in the expressions from the original elbow controller to your new one. Now you will still have all your original IK functionality with the addition of being able to freely move the elbow. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved