ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Make fading credits with a video at the bottom

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ram AstamaMake fading credits with a video at the bottom
by on May 29, 2014 at 9:49:04 am

Hi, i was looking on how can i do this on After effects. i just see this can be done on Adobe Premiere, but i know this can be done on AE. i can make fading credits only on black background, but i want a video as the background, and then moving on from bottom to top fading on the top. i use Track matte but there is no way to mantain the white color of the font using a still mask from a black solid. Any idea on how to do it?. white font fading scrolling credits with the video as a background

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: Make fading credits with a video at the bottom
by on May 29, 2014 at 2:13:52 pm

If I understand your request, you want scrolling credits that fade at the top and bottom of the screen and this to be on a video background ? This can all be done in after effects or you can import your scrolling credits on black background as you have suggested you may already have, I will discuss both.

EG1 - Credits text generated in After Effects

1. Create a comp with your background video.
2. Add a text box by clicking the text tool and dragging to create a bounding box.
3. Enter your credits into the text box and resize the bounding box if necessary.
4. Create the text scroll animation by going to the start of your comp, position the text layer below the bottom of the comp, click the stopwatch for the position then go to the end of the comp and move the text layer up above the comp..
5. Add a solid white layer.
6. Add a rectangular mask to the solid by selecting the rectangle Q and then double click it.
7. Adjust the top and bottom of the mask so that there is a small area below the top and above the bottom of the comp (so vertically it sits within the comp). Also, expand the mask past the left and right edges of the comp.
8. Feather the mask and adjust the expansion negatively to pull it in. This creates the gradient top and bottom. As the feather / expansion applies to the whole mask, this is why we made the left right edges bigger than the comp in Step 7 above.
9. On the text layer, select Alpha Track matte. The white solid with the mask on now acts as the gradient mask.

EG2 - Using externally rendered scrolling text on black background.
1. Open comp with background video
2. Drag in the scrolling text video layer
3. Create a white solid and follow step 7 & 8 & 9 from EG1 above
4. On the text layer. change the transfer mode from normal to Add.

I have uploadad a sample project for reference. Hope this helps

Declan Smith
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Make fading credits with a video at the bottom
by on May 29, 2014 at 3:23:48 pm

Use this plug-in and set matte to on. Don't colorize though. This will change your black to an alpha channel better than screen or multiply blending modes would.

It is a free plug in just hit the download project files button and drop the plug-in into the "plug-ins" folder under After effect's "support files". Below is the file path you would have to take to drop it in.

C drive->Program Files->Adobe->Adobe After Effects CS6->Support Files->Plug-ins

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved